Bronzeback Blowout Speaker Previews

Mike Clifford

Gotta love the enthusiasm and passion for catching smallmouth bass.....

"Who needs trout? All American, baby!"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZYAJtil_g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZYAJtil_g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZYAJtil_g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Guest rich mc

joe is very entertaining when he speaks. dont let the flyfishohio site think its just for fly guys he talks about seasonal patterns and what flies and lures to use. and he does alot of urban type fishing rich

Never seen Joe speak but I do enjoy his fly tying videos over on FlyfishOhio.com Really looking forward to it.

I love those fly tying videos and the whole FFOH site for that matter. As for this video, it has been a while since I have seen anyone using an automatic. I use a glass rod regularly. Though I have a Shakespeare automatic, two Wonderods, and a Herter's rod from the 50s and 60s, I do not think of them as vintage just yet. They represent a relatively short period in fly fishing. Tubular Fiberglass reigned from 1950 to 1976 when the first graphite rods came out. Since they were mass produced, fiberglass rods are still a common garage sale item today. It seems they were the transition rods between bamboo and graphite. Yet, just like bamboo, there is a glass revival going on as I type.

I learned to fly fish with a fiberglass rod and an automatic fly reel back in the 60's. The fly rod was a 9 foot, 2 piece. Every modern fly rod is lighter than just the upper half of that old glass rod. I never understood why automatic reels weren't more popular. One touch of the button and all the line is off the ground or bottom of the boat and back on the reel. If I was to ever fly fish again, I'd still use the one I have.

I learned to fly fish with a fiberglass rod and an automatic fly reel back in the 60's. The fly rod was a 9 foot, 2 piece. Every modern fly rod is lighter than just the upper half of that old glass rod. I never understood why automatic reels weren't more popular. One touch of the button and all the line is off the ground or bottom of the boat and back on the reel. If I was to ever fly fish again, I'd still use the one I have.

Scott

Being much heavier that auto reel would be more out of balance with modern flyrods than with the old glass rods.In ffing the line needs to be wound onto the reel only occasionally as when moving to a different spot when wading & takes only a few seconds with a single action reel.Most of the time they're not even used to play the fish.They're also more reliable & have better drags when it is necessary to play a fish with the reel.That's why auto reels have largely passed into history.Even manual multiple action reels with 3:1 retrieve ratios are rarely seen these days.Large arbor reels are available to those wanting a little faster retrieve.

Btw if you ever did flyfish again you might be glad you did.

It is highly unlikely I will ever pick up a fly rod again. I've caught bass, panfish, pike and trout, including big lake trout on a fly over the years. I just don't enjoy it at all. I tried it, didn't like it. Too inefficient, too much work to place the wrong lure in the right spot. I'll stick with my spinning and baitcasting gear.

It is highly unlikely I will ever pick up a fly rod again. I've caught bass, panfish, pike and trout, including big lake trout on a fly over the years. I just don't enjoy it at all. I tried it, didn't like it. Too inefficient, too much work to place the wrong lure in the right spot. I'll stick with my spinning and baitcasting gear.

Scott,

No doubt about the efficiency of spinning and baitcasting especially if you are after numbers. Fly fishermen are like bowhunters in that we enjoy doing it the hard way. A fellow I used to work with got so bored shooting deer with a rifle that he switched to bowhunting to put some sport back into his game. He used a compound bow. If that got too easy, his next step would be a long bow. In fishing you will know when you reach that point I suspect. I myself go back and forth over the line using spinning, casting, and fly gear depending on how I feel at the moment.

Maybe this would be a good topic to discuss with the speaker at the Blowout.

Scott

The operative word above is "work."If that's the word that comes to mind when you think about flycasting/flyfishing than it certainly isn't for you.I don't know if you did but if not than had you had someone to show you how to become better & more efficient you might've enjoyed it.The main thing is that you did give it a try.

Guest rich mc

there are times when pounding the shoreline is more effective with the fly. cast out, work the fly a few feet then recast a few feet left or right. no need to reel all the way in like spinning gear anglers. the fly will stay in the strike zone. rich

Spinning and baitcasting gear is highly effective for large fish, not just numbers. I use spinning gear exclusively and the number of 20 inch plus smallies I've landed is in triple digits.

Spinning and baitcasting gear is highly effective for large fish, not just numbers. I use spinning gear exclusively and the number of 20 inch plus smallies I've landed is in triple digits.

Norm

The reason you do so well has less to do with with the equipment you use & more to do with your ability, i.e.it's not the arrow it's the indian.If you applied that ability to ffing I'm sure you'd do if not quite as well very well too. And you might find that you still enjoy spinning/baitcasting.Just not as much as ffing.The only way to find out is to take off your sunglasses B) & come over to the darkside.