A true fly for the float n fly

Jonn Graham

Ben and Rob:

Never tried tying it with the eyes on the bottom. The reason I chose the top of the shank is because that is how Tim H. ties his "winter minnow" pattern..........and that is where I got the idea for the type of fly that might work under the float. Maybe if tied the eyes on the bottom, maybe you would not have to bend the hook? Would just have to try it and see if it will sit horizontal in the water.

Terry:

Yes, I do heat the hook before I bend it. And, no Gander Mountain does not have Arctic Fox tail hair..............sorry. If you wish to order some of the best Arctic Fox I have ever seen, shoot me a PM and I can direct you to the folks I get the hair from.

• 2 months later...

Why not just buy some flies and hair jigs directly from Jonn? The guy has written dozens of articles promoting smallmouth bass and conservation in the Land of Lincoln and has chimed in countless times with valuable insight regarding fishing and tying here. Throw the guy a bone and place an order!

His flies and hair jigs are relatively inexpensive and the USPS is quick in shipping them. You could be out fishing quicker than you could make them!

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Even more of a no brainer is to tie the beadchain om a jig hook.

God Bless,

Don

There's supposed to be a nice warm up next week. Temps above freezing for several days. Give the old bead chain on a jig hook a try and let us know what you catch.

Eric,

I live in Ontario and unfortunately we can't even fish bass in my area until the last weekend in June, I do know that that style of fly works really well on all warmwater species and trout like them too.

God Bless,

Don

Don:

That is a jig hook. It is a 90 degree owner hook with the eye bent slightly back. You could never bend a straight shank hook that far.

I thought that was a bit of a stretch. I use a lot of jighooks in my tying.

I was watching a video of bass eyeballing float and fly tyoe "jigs". They hit most consistently when the fly was fished without motion. Sometimes a little jiggle would make them lose interest but if it dangled in their face long enough they would eat it sooner or later.

God Bless,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that was a bit of a stretch. I use a lot of jighooks in my tying.

I was watching a video of bass eyeballing float and fly tyoe "jigs". They hit most consistently when the fly was fished without motion. Sometimes a little jiggle would make them lose interest but if it dangled in their face long enough they would eat it sooner or later.

God Bless,

Don

Don,

If you do not have the jig hooks, you can bend an Eagle Claw Aberdeen back to the 120 deg position. Here is my first attempt on a #2. I used round nosed pliers to avoid a sharp bend that might break. Next time I will make the bend a little closer to the eye.

DSCF0110.jpg

This Wacky Fly is another outside the box approach to tying a true float'n fly fly.

IMG_0004.jpg

Tie the line to the hook shank with a Trilene knot and slide it to where the fly balances. I used one of Craig's ringers so I could change weights also.

Jonn,

Thanks for posting the winter flies. They look. great.