Wading boots

Guest Don R

Don

It didn't matter how much I paid for waders or wading boots, I simply wear them out in a year or so. With that being the case I buy the cheapest ones I can find and simply replace them when they inevitably wear out.

Well that just seems wrong. I think you said those weren't too old. I think you should complain. Looks like epic failure vs. plain old use failure.

Was it stitching that fell apart or gluing? Glue should not be used on wading boots. I prefered the old style guides where everything was stitched and they looked like they would last a good long time except for maybe Norms abuse ;)

I guess if companies made stuff to last they would not make too much money...

I have a pair of the old Simms Freestone boots. I have practically worn the felt off of them and just a tiny bit of the toe of the sole is finally releasing. Most of the outside is plain, smooth synthetic uppers with just stitching at the seams. I think the basic design has contributed to the longevity of the boot (about 3 seasons). I'd certainly buy them again, except I think they're being discontinued.

Don, Most fishermen in the ISA do not hike 2 or 3 miles through the woods to get to a new fishing spot and then wade for 10 hours nonstop through boulder-strewn fast flowing water for three days straight. Most of us leave our wading boots on a shelf and get them out for a weekend 2 hour wade a couple of times a month. :lol:

Don,

My suggestion would be to go to one of the LL Bean stores and buy a pair of LL Bean brand wading boots. After you wear out your new boots in one or two trips like you seem to do, just take them back to the store and they will replace them. LL Bean has replaced my boots twice.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'd rather not call Simms. I'm afraid they may give me another pair of boots. The first two pairs of Simms boots that I owned caused me a great deal of pain. This pair fell apart. Three strikes....I'll try some other brand

Even if you don't want another pair of Simms I still think you should call them/send the pictures. Perhaps it's a design flaw they are not aware of... you get the idea.

Since your done with Simms I take a size 13. I'd like to try to the Riversheds so when you send in the pics etc tell them you just hit a growth spurt ;)

• 5 weeks later...

So far, so good with Pategonia riverwalkers. Very light, comfy, better than felt at climbing on dry rock and up banks. Was going to put studs in before I tried, but now I will not, studs make too much noise.

Maybe 50 miles on them so far- like new. We'll see.

I think a big thing is getting the boots dry between wades.

Don,

I just got a pair of these Orvis boots and I really like them so far.

Couple of things.

Higher on the sides giving you a bit more ankle support.

The Vibrams seems to work fine without studs so far.

Best thing is a side zipper. When you're done wading just unzip and slip off. That is a great help when bending over and trying to pull off wet boots.

They were on sale a few weeks ago, like 30 or 40 buck off.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2E0C&dir_id=758&group_id=11059&cat_id=5421&subcat_id=10664

• 1 month later...

Another pair bites the dust. Got these from Dick's on sale dirt cheap. They proved to be worth every penny I paid. :lol:

I'm currently wearing (when I wade fish that is) a pair of Reddington boots. I should've tried them on before purchasing...way too narrrow for my Fred Flinstone feet.

• 2 weeks later...