Wading Staffs

Dan Draz

My son Quinn has been inquiring about wading staffs since we heard the Bob Long presentation and are thinking safety. I've spent some time doing a little web research but then decided to throw it out here to see who has experience with them, and ask for recommendations, brands etc, especially given the price for some gucci fly catalog, and Cabelas models which are spendy. I see that most of them are collapsable, a few brands have more than one size (length and thickness), some float and most attach to your wading belt. Thoughts from you experienced ISA river waders out there? Thanks in advance!

The best and least expensive wading staff is a broomstick. They only cost a couple of dollars at your local hardware store, or maybe your basement or garage has one. Drill a 1/4' hole near the top of the broom stick and attach a piece or 1/4" rope. tie the rope to your wading staff. Broomsticks are strong, cheap, they float and come in many sizes. You don't need to worry about breaking it or losing it because they are readily available. I've been using broomsticks for a wading staff forever.

My wife bought me a Folstaf wading staf 2 years ago for Christmas. It has saved my rear more than once! They aren't cheap- about $90. The whole thing collapses into 6 peices, has a lanyard, and fits into a leather holster on my belt. All the sections are interconnected with dual shockcords, so all I have to do is grab the cork handle, pull it from the holster, and it immediately extends.

Best of all, I look cool & heavily armed with it on my belt, and I don't have a broomstick dangling in the current trying to tangle itself in my fly line or find it's way between my legs & do some real damage :blink: .

Another idea that's a lot more labor intensive but might be a neat project would be to make one. If you did it right it's not something that could be used this year as you are supposed to let the wood dry for a good chunk of time before you seal it with spar varnish. Lots of tips/directions on the net under making a walking stick.

I just bought one last night. I know that's not gonna help you, but this is a first for me, too. Got a collapsable one with a compass on top, so I don't get lost in the river. ;)

You must be talking about the Swissgear walking/wading staff made by the Swiss Army Knife Co.They're availlable in the camping section at Gander Mtn. They're only $15 and I like it better than the $99 Folstaff or any of the more costly staffs in fishing catalogs.It collapses to a short length is easily stowed inside your wading belt and unlike the Folstaff is infinitely adjustable.Don't overtighten especially the tip section which could make it difficult to loosen.The bright red one is easier to spot if you should drop it in the river which happened to me. I probably would've lost the black one.

You must be talking about the Swissgear walking/wading staff made by the Swiss Army Knife Co.They're availlable in the camping section at Gander Mtn. They're only $15 and I like it better than the $99 Folstaff or any of the more costly staffs in fishing catalogs.It collapses to a short length is easily stowed inside your wading belt and unlike the Folstaff is infinitely adjustable.Don't overtighten especially the tip section which could make it difficult to loosen.The bright red one is easier to spot if you should drop it in the river which happened to me. I probably would've lost the black one.

Mine is some no-name thing I got at BPS that's made in Taiwan. No tightening involved, just a shock cord running through it that pops it altogether when you take it out of the holster. $29.99 plus tax. I'll let you know how it works at the end of the season, if I like it and it lasts that long. ;)

I went to wal-mart and picked one up for 13.00 in there camping section not sure how it works but il let you know when i take my trip to Northern wi. i picked the green style that they carry.

I had a wading staff at one time.

It was a FULL staff at that, not some skeleton crew.

Had to lay them all off last week due to the downturn in the economy.

:lol:

I picked up the coleman version when kmart when out of business. Haven't tried it yet!

I like the broom handle idea, cheap and it works. If you lose it you dont cry because it didnt cost ninety bucks.

I got mine at Target, $16.00, last year its actually a hiking model. I use it mostly for mushroom hunting but it works fine in the water too.

I got one for Christmas from Cabelas, think it was around $30. I have only used it twice and i like it a lot. I noticed it did best for me when I was exiting and entering the water from a steep bank. It collapses and thats a problem when u get it stuck in the mud and go to pull it out and it comes unattached. It can also be used as a weapon if you come across a snake or spider (hate them both).