Cicadas

IMG_2024-05-07-223558.thumb.jpeg.8bfabacdf4b84e1b08c931f525a171d8.jpegI would think those should work quite well. These are Stealth Bombers. I usually tie them completely black and have had very good luck with them over the years for grass carp, smallies, and the occasional big sunfish. I added red eyes, orange legs, and some orange in the wing to better represent the brood. It’s actually a gurgler that when stripped quickly dives, makes a nice gurgling sound and leaves a nice stream of bubbles behind it. I dead drift them for the carp. Any movement in the fly seems to spook them. I hope my streams are at a level I can wade in when these things start to emerge. Last time it was a blast. 

6 hours ago, John Gillio said:

IMG_2024-05-07-223558.thumb.jpeg.8bfabacdf4b84e1b08c931f525a171d8.jpegI would think those should work quite well. These are Stealth Bombers. I usually tie them completely black and have had very good luck with them over the years for grass carp, smallies, and the occasional big sunfish. I added red eyes, orange legs, and some orange in the wing to better represent the brood. It’s actually a gurgler that when stripped quickly dives, makes a nice gurgling sound and leaves a nice stream of bubbles behind it. I dead drift them for the carp. Any movement in the fly seems to spook them. I hope my streams are at a level I can wade in when these things start to emerge. Last time it was a blast. 

those definitely will work well. i feel like a fly that has the right profile, that has some black/orange, and lands with a satisfying “plop” should get a look. 

i have seen online that folks near springfield are seeing them. my understanding is ground temps need to average 65 or so for several days and then they emerge. should be very fun 

@John Gillio did you really do that well last time the cicadas came? Only ask because threads on others forums indicate it wasn't a feeding frenzy/bonanza. And nice flies!

@Urbs nice flies! I assume the shiny is for the wings. However it reminds me of the belly of the "zombie" cicadas I read about.  The Massospora fungus takes over like the lower third of the cicadas belly and pumps them full of amphetamine and psilocybin so they don't feel anything. Nature is such a trip!!

I thought about picking up some MB sigletts but I didn't see any in the smaller size.

13 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

@John Gillio did you really do that well last time the cicadas came? Only ask because threads on others forums indicate it wasn't a feeding frenzy/bonanza. And nice flies!

@Urbs nice flies! I assume the shiny is for the wings. However it reminds me of the belly of the "zombie" cicadas I read about.  The Massospora fungus takes over like the lower third of the cicadas belly and pumps them full of amphetamine and psilocybin so they don't feel anything. Nature is such a trip!!

I thought about picking up some MB sigletts but I didn't see any in the smaller size.

yes exactly, for the wing. just enough of an impression. 

i could probably add red eyes but figure this is a close enough imitation: fat, black, orange wiggly legs with a wing!

Last Fall I came up with the idea of creating what I call, Organic Flies, using whatever kind of foliage and such, that I could find in my backyard or along my daily walks.  I first snatched a milkweed pod that was just beginning to burst.  Then I grabbed a pine cone from my back yard and also snapped off a foxtail from a weed. There is a ton of interesting stuff  you can find growing that could be used as material.  I plan to find something natural for a bigger head to mimic a cicada. Hopefully in the next few days. 
Milkweed Silk, Pine Cone Peddles, Weed Foxtail, on a size 6 Stnger hook. 

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Terry Dodge said:

Last Fall I came up with the idea of creating what I call, Organic Flies, using whatever kind of foliage and such, that I could find in my backyard or along my daily walks.  I first snatched a milkweed pod that was just beginning to burst.  Then I grabbed a pine cone from my back yard and also snapped off a foxtail from a weed. There is a ton of interesting stuff  you can find growing that could be used as material.  I plan to find something natural for a bigger head to mimic a cicada. Hopefully in the next few days. 

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

that’s actually incredibly interesting! maybe a cat tail floats like a cork? 

11 hours ago, Kev-mo said:

I did great with grass carp last hatch. I think I may have had a channel cat too. I only was able to get out a few times, but the carp were after them on each outing. 

5 hours ago, Terry Dodge said:

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

Very interesting Terry. Does it float? It looks like it would push some water.

22 minutes ago, John Gillio said:

Very interesting Terry. Does it float? It looks like it would push some water.

Sure does float. The pine cone peddles are  very buoyant. The milkweed sold is used in life jackets.  

On 5/7/2024 at 10:55 PM, John Gillio said:

Nice stealth bombers!  They are fish catchers no matter what the hatch is.