Wading Boots: Felt vs Rubber

Terry Dodge

I don’t know, maybe I should know but to be truthful, I don’t. My wife ordered me a new pair of wading boots. I just received them and noticed that they were felt soles. Is this a problem? I really don’t know. I have never considered them just because I think they would be slippery. I could be wrong because I really don’t know. 
should I send them back, or give them a try?

(this is why I don’t like to order things) 😁

16 minutes ago, John Gillio said:

Terry, I can tell you this much. They are good on rock and gravel, but terrible on wet grass and mud. So it depends on what you are walking on.

So be careful at canoe launches. Noted. Thanks for your input.

11 minutes ago, Frank Briggs said:

Terry another thing may be durability with as much walking you do thru the woods get to some of you spots.

I was thinking of that. I’m pretty sure most of my hiking thru the woods, , now a days, is done this time of year while in my waders.. Once the water warms for wet wading all my access points are easy peesy. What about those studs? Anybody ever use those?

On slippery rocks, felt really shines.  I've yet to find a rubber sole that will grip as well as felt on rocks with current.  Felt with studs....even better. 

As far as the whole transferring invasives thing, I will bite my tongue.  

29 minutes ago, Rob G said:

On slippery rocks, felt really shines.  I've yet to find a rubber sole that will grip as well as felt on rocks with current.  Felt with studs....even better. 

As far as the whole transferring invasives thing, I will bite my tongue.  

Thanks for the input. Seems funny how I always got a little bag full of studs when I purchased rubber sole but did not get any with this felt pair. I know I got a few bags laying around here somewheres. I’m sticking with them and will probably plant a few studs here and there. Thanks again, guys!