Don't know what to call this.

Not a fly fisherman and lack knowledge of what gets called what and why certain flys get tied with what materials.  I do enjoy making things and this one is intended to be cast. It was inspired by Tom L and his Secret Weapon. I guess it's sort of like his CF Muddler, has some the same materials but I  added some rabbit fur hopeing that it would cast better. Tested it this morning casting into a light breeze while wet, can only get it to go 55 feet. Any suggestions on adding a few more feet? Using 8 lb Braid for the test and  could try lighter mono. Might add in some perch stripes after tweaking it. 

20210807_174831.jpg

20210807_174845.jpg

20210807_101628.jpg

I’ll throw in my opinion, for what it’s worth. I fish both fly and spin gear. The fly you tied looks like it would work quite well on bass.  With the rabbit strip it should have a tantalizing slow sink rate. I think adding weight to the fly would mess with it’s motion. Fifty-five feet wet isn’t too bad. If you want to get more distance without sacrificing line strength, adding an eighth ounce split shot about 12” above it for those longer casts should suffice. This would still let the fly retain some of it’s buoyant properties. I would say you have a winner there.

15 hours ago, John Gillio said:

I’ll throw in my opinion, for what it’s worth. I fish both fly and spin gear. The fly you tied looks like it would work quite well on bass.  With the rabbit strip it should have a tantalizing slow sink rate. I think adding weight to the fly would mess with it’s motion. Fifty-five feet wet isn’t too bad. If you want to get more distance without sacrificing line strength, adding an eighth ounce split shot about 12” above it for those longer casts should suffice. This would still let the fly retain some of it’s buoyant properties. I would say you have a winner there.

Thanks John, I'll try the split shot trick.  I'm glad you mentioned the slow sink rate. I tried it out last night on the DuPage at sunset. No takers, saw some tiny ones following it around though. It did sink slowly and I didn't realize at the time that was a bonus. 

Cool looking fly. Looks like it has a combo of rabbit strip, bucktail, hackle, and marabou -all fish catching materials.

I caught most of my fish under 50 feet distance. I'm sure you will do fine with that fly.

• 1 month later...

I've been tying and fishing with "hair jigs"  with spinning gear over the past couple of months.  The biggest downside is that unless they are tied with relatively heavy jigs, it is tough to get the kind of casting distance that you you get throwing plastic baits.  They fish well within the distance that you can cast them.

I've tied jig versions of flies that I have used and I have caught fish with some of them.  My Fuzzy Grub pattern has done well, as have rabbit strip patterns like Tom L's Foxy Craw.  I have tied the Bad Hair Day on jigs that that pattern just does have the same action or has had as good of results as the fly version of the pattern.

Gene, what kind of eyes (size/brand are you using are your jig?