ISA Zoom Fly Tying session with Jim Wright, January 24th at 6:00 pm

ISA will host its first zoom fly tying session on Sunday, January 24th at 6:00 pm.   ISA member Jim Wright has kindly agreed to demonstrate the "Fuzzy Minnow" fly. This is a phenomenal smallmouth fly.

Materials needed for this fly tying session include the following:

A size 1 predator hook;

a sculpting flash fiber brush (in shrimp color);

white buck tail;

white strung maribou;

6mm tabbed eyes;

Jim mentioned he purchases the fiber brush from Mad River Outfitters (Columbus, OH)

Here is the zoom link invite for the fly tying session:

Topic: ISA Zoom Fly Tying Session with Jim Wright
Time: Jan 24, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84375380803?pwd=QklXazZBb0RVZVV2SElCd3BVTGd5Zz09

This will be our first ISA zoom fly tying session so there may be a few kinks to work out during the process.  Our goal is to have two zoom fly tying sessions per month until the spring fishing season begins.  If any members are interested in demonstrating a fly pattern on future zoom sessions, or if there are any questions about this, please let us know.

Van, good to know, please share with us pros and cons of your zoom tying experience.  ISA is purchasing a special camera for the close up tying demonstrations. We hope to do several this winter.   I look forward to hearing about your trip out west last fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link again for tonight's zoom tie with Jim Wright that begins at 6 pm 

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84375380803?pwd=QklXazZBb0RVZVV2SElCd3BVTGd5Zz09

Please feel free to join us even if you won't be tying.

Thank you Jim for being our introductory zoom tier and showing us how to tie this beautiful fly.  I know all 12 of our participants greatly enjoyed your presentation.  We recorded the tying session and hope to have it up on the ISA website soon for those who couldn't make it .Unfortunately, I did not post the entire zoom invite link for Jim's event.  My apologies for this  and I will make sure to include the complete invite link in our future zoom invites.  At least we have it recorded for those who missed it due to this omission.  Here are some photos Terry took from Jim's tying session:

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.56.52 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.30.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.56.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.28.54 PM.jpg

Thank you for choosing me to lead this inaugural event. I missed having the open banter that all of enjoy by sitting in person. Yet this is the next best thing. I hope I provided some good tricks for tying. I love to tie easy and quick patterns, then if they snag up no worries. Van, you're comment on weighting the front was interesting, I will apply it to a batch. I am intrigued!

Rich the eyes don't last long without some reinforcement. I haven't found a great application yet. I've tried thin CCG but it takes away from the action a bit.

Again, thank you to all who helped put this together and all whom participated.

I had to substitute body chenille for the head since I didn’t have the stuff you were using and after almost gorilla gluing my finger to the fly (Gluing and Zooming don’t mix)  I may have to consider getting some tabbed eyes.  Notice I left the damn eyes off the chartreuse one 😁