Say Goodbye To A Legend

Mike Clifford

I hadn't been to the state park in a very long time, which is surprising considering it's 10 minutes from my house. I just wanted everybody to enjoy a moment of silence for the signs that Dale Bowman and I installed back in 2004 at the head of Rock Creek trail.

Maybe 16 years is long enough. It served the smallies well for a long time.

This is why we can't have nice shit anymore. I would have replaced them, but to be honest I have one conservation white sign left and I'm keeping it for nostalgic purposes. Out of the 30 to 40 signs we put up there over the years, I'd be surprised if any of them still exist. I haven't seen one. 

Considering they don't have dumpsters in the state park anymore, this one ended up in a garbage can. For all to see what they've done to this beautiful State Park.

20200807_113302(1).jpg

20200807_115309(1).jpg

FB_IMG_1596820529517.jpg

Several years ago, Tim Smith and I went to the Deselm parking area, and found our 4×6 timber with signs on it ripped out of the ground and thrown in the forest nearby. I dug that hole 3 feet deep. Amazing the lengths somebody went to for that one.

5 hours ago, Terry Dodge said:

Not sure if the sign was purposely destroyed (?). Could just be weathered. Those signs to become brittle after awhile and a good strong wind during winter months could snap a corner off. We’ll try to get it replaced come next Spring.

As I recall, one year we got screwed on the thickness of the signs and they were all way too thin. This one was not too thin. Scott fixed that problem.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Terry Dodge said:

Not sure if the sign was purposely destroyed (?). Could just be weathered. Those signs to become brittle after awhile and a good strong wind during winter months could snap a corner off. We’ll try to get it replaced come next Spring.

That's 100% true.  EVERYTHING breaks down when exposed to UV light. Where I work, we have outrageously expensive machines called weather-o-meters that simulate exposure to outdoor conditions.