Access Question

phaaker

I am trying to expand my fishing opportunities legally. I noticed that what is sometimes referred to as the Mazon River is classified as the Illinois river on google.maps. This raises some interesting access questions. Am I allowed to legally enter(public land) the "Mazon" river and canoe it? Here is the map I was referring to. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2892472,-88.364307,16z

I think as long as you access publicly / park legally and float the river you should be OK. I have friends that live on the Mazon and they've let me access via their property. We've floated and fished several miles in either direction and it was fine. People just gave us a friendly wave as we passed through. I did have my wife and kids with me, maybe that made a difference versus me and a buddy looking like "serious fishermen." But all worked out OK. People along the river are generally friendly if you appear respectful.

On any body of water there's always the chance of running across that one jerk homeowner (or group of drunk locals) that think they own the place and give it a bad name. Don't engage and just keep moving.

This advice is only based on experience, not law. Your mileage may vary.

I was wading the Mazon once and heard a couple of shot guns having the action worked. I looked up and while they weren't pointed directly at me, it was a matter of inches. They two guys never said a word, they didn't need to. I've was verbally harassed once at an access spot and had a nasty note left on the car at another. The rest of the times, no problems.

I have been told of valve stems sliced but never experienced it.

The IDNR has property on the river near Morris, never heard of any trouble there.

My first time fishing the K3 near I-55, someone from the shooting range "politely" walked over and asked me to move my car to another area -- with his loaded gun in hand.

Ran into a guy walking the banks with his rifle, hunting out of season on the Kish. Ran into a group of drunks firing off their guns along the Kish. Ran into a guy in full camo bow hunting within a forest preserve along the Kish. All on the south branch.

"Sportsmen."

He, he.

I heared that if you have a carp bow in your canoe you might have a chance against a rifle. At least that is what I seen in the movie.

when all it takes is a few inches of movement and a bit of pressure on the trigger...................................................................

even in my prime my reflexes weren't good enough, John Wayne, I ain't .

Shoot on my home river I've had shot rain down about me several times and a couple times bullets whiz overhead while wading. I had a guy come out of a blind that had no decoys out and no car at the access area other than mine, waving a shotgun around, screaming about scaring the ducks. I still keep fishing it, you either shrug stuff like this off or find somewhere else.

What the heck, I could get hit by a texting idjit while driving. there are risks everywhere. You make your best call and live your life accordingly .

My first time fishing the K3 near I-55, someone from the shooting range "politely" walked over and asked me to move my car to another area -- with his loaded gun in hand.

Ran into a guy walking the banks with his rifle, hunting out of season on the Kish. Ran into a group of drunks firing off their guns along the Kish. Ran into a guy in full camo bow hunting within a forest preserve along the Kish. All on the south branch.

"Sportsmen."

He, he.

I wonder what his problem was since there's no connection between the shooting range & the river nearby. I'd've reported the threat at the ranger station a little west of the range.

Ron

If Eric was where I think he was, you park in the lot by the trap range and walk across the street to the river. No call for walking up to Eric with the shotgun, if that was the spot. He could have just as easily secured his piece before making his request. I have had guys ask me to move my car from that spot, they seem to think that the DPCA is not a multi use area to be shared.

I always park there and never had a problem; guess it depends on who is there that day? Space never seems to be an issue and I always park closer to the road.

Yep, Norm is spot-on. It was me and two other cars in the lot. Was my first time there and was waiting for Mark K. to show up. I think the guy was just pissed because I was a young kid in a brand new sports car. I was minding my own business, not bothering anyone. The guy was just a tool.

I've been to a few ranges myself and know a bit about gun safety. Don't think this guy knew much.

Had my jonboat out at the mouth of the Iroquois in Aroma one early morning several years ago and drifted into a set of decoys. I heard a click, turned around and saw a gun pointed at me. I politely asked which direction they were shooting and was told "right at you".
Alrighty then. Before I could get my little 3 hp fired up, they sent a duck barge out to circle me and damn near swamp my boat.

Consider some of the good things about concealed carry in IL, finally.

I was in the wrong completely to be there during hunting season.
I should have checked the season and calendar before venturing out.

That doesn't give anybody the right to point a gun at me and attempt to drown me in my boat.

/rant