How early is too early?

Brad

I realize that smallmouth are caught year-round given the right conditions. I'm about to go back to my hometown around the Mississippi and wonder if the streams that flow into it are producing anything yet. I'm not taking my kayak with me so I'm hoping I can travel the banks and maybe wade a little bit, but USGS reports that the water level is about 2 feet higher than ideal for the location I normally get into them. Anyway, just to get my fix I'm going to strip some articulated baitfish around some areas and see what happens.

As the water temperatures are still in the 30's, I'm wondering if I'm jumping the gun a bit.

unless the water is completely iced over, no reason to stop. fish have to eat to survive. don't get hung up on bottom content, just as likely to be feeding in a mud hole as on a cobblestone bottom.

You have perfect conditions for dabbling. High waters drive bass to within inches of the shore. Your only mistake is casting to the middle of the creek. There needs to be a sticky on this since Eric has explained it a number of times. If you use a fly rod, think old it as Czech nymphing for Smallmouth Bass.

Dabbling high water in the 30s is doable but don't count on smallies. Walleye and white bass ... maybe. This is a good time to take stock of your equipment, order lures (or tie flies) and take care of the honey-dos so you have more free time when the water temp warms up and the smallies are active.

I like the float n fly during cold conditions in slow eddies. Just tough to find "slow" or any mojo when the water is up and as cold as it is.