Need an 8wt for spring?

mikea

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2014-8-weight-shootout-g-loomis-nrx-orvis-h2-sage-method-sage-one-tfo-bvk-scott-s4s-beulah-opal-best-saltwater-fly-rod-fly-rod-comparison

Sages $1350 Method Elite barely breaks the top ten, that thing costs more than a good kayak. My beloved Mangrove didn't fare much better at 17th, BVK did well again.

Thanks Mike, it was this test in 2011 that sold me on the BVK, and the fact I would never spend much more than that on any rod anyways! I would rather practice my casting than spend a grand on a rod that claims to make you a better caster. I'm sure some of the more expensive rods are nicer to cast, no doubt, but what do you need! I've been so pleased with my 6wt BVK, I've always planned on that being my next 8wt as well. It's funny, as someone posted in another thread not to long ago, "gear" fisherman would think you're nuts spending $240 on a rod alone, but for us fly guys, that's a cheaper rod! Suckers! I guess their is a little more technology involved in fly rods, just because of the method of casting, but prices are a little out of control! Still love my BVK! Ryan

BVKs are mostly nice. The 10 is stiff rod I reserve for distance casting or chucking giant flies. I was glad to see my beloved Orvis Helios 2 in the #2 spot. I personally think it's nicer than the NRX on several measures, but at #2 it still beats out tons of supposedly high end rods by known makers. If you can swing for the H2, get it.

The most technical fishing I do is for carp, this is the only reason I would consider a more expensive and more accurate 8wt. (Disclamer I own 3 bvks) Bass are ninty percent of my fishing, at times long accurate casts are needed but not the norm, if I was on a salt flat day in day out that would be a different story. What I'm saying is be realistic as to what the majority of you fishing will be doing.

Yeah, but "best of show" isn't all about performance. I've seen a lot of things I would never even consider purchasing, from odd packs to other accessories win "best of show", because they are "innovative", or something a little different, not because they are actually proven to perform. That being said, the Yellowstone shootout is ultimately still just some guys opinions, take it with a grain a salt! I look at the best of show awards hoping to find something new to the industry that actually looks like it could have a use on the water, and the shootout just to get somebody elses POV. Ryan

I will say this for the Yellowstone guys, at least their rod "performance" rankings didn't just end up replicating the suggested retail price of the rods from high to low, how many times have we seen that. Subjective testing should always be done blind hence I would love to take those same sticks, spray paint them all black so they don't know which rod they're handling and then let them have at it. Only in the end would I let them know which coded rod was which and it would then be interesting to see if there were any ranking changes.

Good points Ryan and Rob. And don't get me wrong, I always read and sometimes re-read their reports. I do appreciate the reports they make each year, but I follow Ryan's suggestion and take their opinions with a grain of salt.

I also agree with Mikea in that I cannot remember ever being in a situation where I thought, "man, if only my rod could perform more accurately at 80 feet." But then again, I don't fish for bonefish regularly.

Right now, I am finishing building a Steffen 7/8wt. 8'6" 4pc. rod. I am eager to try it out. I think it will be a true 8wt. rod and it should be a blast with a 2 or 3 lb. bass. But I don't think it would be praised in the Yellowstone Shootout.

I will say this for the Yellowstone guys, at least their rod "performance" rankings didn't just end up replicating the suggested retail price of the rods from high to low, how many times have we seen that. Subjective testing should always be done blind hence I would love to take those same sticks, spray paint them all black so they don't know which rod they're handling and then let them have at it. Only in the end would I let them know which coded rod was which and it would then be interesting to see if there were any ranking changes.

Now your talking, cosmetics aside that would be a real eye opener.

This was the first time I saw a reviewer mention the wow factor as something to consider seriously when buying a rod suggesting that your companions might snicker when you uncased a BVK. But it probably is true. BTW the wow in spinning and casting gear is in the reels. You start with a $600 Loomis stick and add $700+ Stella spinning reel or a similarly priced Calais DC baitcaster to have a wow outfit off the shelf. It is no different than wow shopping fly gear.

Does anyone know where the 8/9 wt Shakespeare Big Water (ugly stik) came in? :)

Another BTW, I was glad to see that the one piece concept has achieved enough credibility to become available in production models. If mixed in with the standard 4 piece models, the one piecers would have tied for first and fourth respctively. Of course a one piece is impracticle, for the average Joe. But it really raises the bar in the wow category:

"Wow! You pay the extra cost of transporting a one piece rod just to get the extra edge in performance."

"Wow! You can use one piece rods and just leave them at your lodge because transport and storage are not an issue when you own the lodge."

Wow, huh?