Fly rod advice

Gregg S

Hey John, Ed, or others;

Are Temple Forks rods a good value and good choice for a novice (not complete beginner)?

Is there a difference between Jim Teeny models and others?

Gregg

Guest rich mc

temple fork makes nice rods, in fact there are many good value rods on the market compared to years ago. i have an 8wt bvk that is fun to cast. echo is another line to look at. rich

I have a few TFO's, personally my favorite rods for the buck, and lifetime warranty that they are good for no questions asked. Not sure of your price range, but the BVK is hard to beat. That rod came in second place in the Yellowstone shootout versus many rods literally double to triple the price. Are their better rods, I'm sure, but not sure what more another rod could do for me that my BVK couldn't. I have it in a 6wt, and I would say its moderately fast, not to stiff. Their seems to be the typical big difference once you get into the 8wt and above, then its no doubt a fast rod. Perfect smallie rod, with enough backbone to tackle Carp if you chose too, or casting big streamers for trout! My first TFO was the professional series which is a little cheaper rod compared to the BVK, but again an awesome rod for the money. That ones a little softer action than the BVK, but also makes a great Bass, Trout rod. I love em, thats my 2 cents! Ryan

Hey John, Ed, or others;

Are Temple Forks rods a good value and good choice for a novice (not complete beginner)?

Is there a difference between Jim Teeny models and others?

Gregg

All good info being given here by the membership. As was mentioned the Professional series is going to be more forgiving and not as "fast" as the BVK. The same can be said for the Mangrove whicb is basically all I used last season, TFO's warranty is superb.

Lefty and Bob both have models in the TFO catalog. Made in Korea I believe.

If country of origin bothers you, there's a local boy, Grandt, in Arlington Hts. I have only used one of their spinning rods. I like it a lot. Then there's always St Croix.

I can attest to the warranty! The rod in my avatar was replaced in 5 business days. Cost 25 $

Doors and Flyrods Dont Mix.

In the spring there will be a "Cast and Compare" if you can hold out that long. At that event you

will be able to cast all price ranges.

Hope to see you there!

• 4 weeks later...

The St Croix Imperial was rated the best rod in the $200 range in one of Yellowstone's recent shootouts.It's made in Wisconsin & will feel lighter than a comparable TFO which tend to be heavy in hand.I imagine that's the reason TFO doesn't include rod weight info in any catalogs. I have an 8'9" TFO 3wt which while being a nice rod overall is actually slightly heavier than my 9' 6wt Orvis Access.

Ronk,

the BVK line of TFO blanks are actually quite light. In that same shootout for 8 wt rods it was in the top few for lighter weight. The BVK 9' 5 wt blank weighs 1.7 oz. The same Orvis Access blank weighs in at 1.79 oz. I can't find specs for the Helios 2 blank at the moment.

Btw, if you want really light weight, you can build off a Mhx blank that is extremely fast and only weighs in at 1.3 oz. which if I remember even barely beat out the Helios 2 weight.