It ain't no use if.....

Rob G

it's not chartreuse. I can't say I've always been a big believer in this axiom but last night on the Lower Vermilion, though I was catching fish stripping my all white streamers, it was way too often the bump and flash show for my tastes. They were hitting short and repeatedly doing the "fly by". Well after a while I heeded Lefty's words (though I'm not sure Mike G. believes me when I say I heard Lefty speak these words pertaining to freshwater) and tied on the same exact streamer but with some chartreuse in it and it was "On like Donkey Kong" I can't state for sure if it was just this group of smallies or this stretch of stream, or was it the color? I have no idea but gone were the short strikes and hello to bigger fish. I lost the really big one for the evening on a spectacular leap but just before he spit it out, I could have sworn he said, "Hey buddy, it ain't no use...."

... Well after a while I heeded Lefty's words (though I'm not sure Mike G. believes me when I say I heard Lefty speak these words pertaining to freshwater) ...

Rob,

Who am I to call you a liar? Assuming that the times you saw Lefty in person are few, you should be able to tell us where and when you heard him say it. I would be interested though actually I have seen him say it many times in print. But invariably he ascribes the saying to other sources like quoting Florida saltwater guides or saying it is an "old saying among fishermen."

Now if chartreuse is so dang good why do we use any other color? But first, what color is it? To a drinking man it can be yellow or green or white. Chartreuse is a liqueur that comes in all those colors. To a fisherman it is a bright celery green color. Let's stick with fisherman's chartreuse. So why do we need colors like Bubblegum, Redbone, PBJ, Firetiger, and Yamamoto's #330?

In clearer water, I found color(s) of the fly/lure becomes more relevant. Certain colors works better in certain time/day. White, chart, yellow, red, brown, oliver, orange all have permanent place in my flybox.

"Might as well go home if it's not Redbone"

"Fish aren't dumb so use bubblegum !"

"Fish will stay away if it's not PBJ"

I get it. Fish go for the slogan.

"It's just too bad if it ain't Red Shad!"

"If it ain't Root Beer,stick it in your ear."

But what about Yamamoto's 330?

You got it Mike, the fish are attracted to the sizzle and not the steak, they fall for the marketing of a catchy slogan and not the color itself, just like we humans.

As to the Yamamoto's 330, better poet than I if you can come up with something there.

This one would sum up my afternoon,

"Even chartreuse was of no use"

The water was more stained and a little higher than I thought it would be but other than a few small dinks, they would not hit my streamers, even those electric celery colored ones. I did find a pocket of clear shallow water over a nice cut in the bedrock and it was the Big Black Bug to the rescue. Six fish in six casts, 14, 15.5, and a 17 to somewhat save the day. Sorry Mike, I don't have a Big Chartreuse Bug. BCB, ...........nah, not catchy at all.

Oh, and what do my entomology friends think is going on here, this piece of wood drifting down the river, surely not a dragon fly party.

post-485-0-64025200-1375744724_thumb.jpg

post-485-0-85715100-1375745008_thumb.jpg

If it isn't Orange, use a door hinge.

You're in the dough with three-three-oh.

Purple?

(If rhyming is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.)

What color do I see on the back of that fly? Could it be a shade of... Could the bass have seen...

Yellow on black, that's where it's at

Sung repeatedly to the same rhythm and melody as the Temptations' "Psychedelic Shack"

(I just realized that I missed my calling and should have been a greeting card or fortune cookie writer)

John, I bet you are correct in it being a damselfly egg laying party. I wonder if they exchange small pieces of Tupperware at something like that? Interesting that they would select that same random piece of wood drifting down the river.

Nice Mike!

Rob, I will accept your explanation, but now I can't get that little jingle out of my head..As far as the Tupperware party goes, when my wife attends such things or when she has a baby shower to attend, the ladies all meet in the same place.I am quite sure this is not a random act. Nice bunch of fish by the way.

I get the "purty" and "thirty" but I can't wrap my tongue around "orange" and "hinge"

From a zoologist point of view, I would think nature would want to disperse the eggs more widely than "having all the eggs in one basket" or in this case one piece of wood. But then maybe they're so numerous that it's a moot point. Just wondering what evolutionary advantage it would be for mass egg laying, it's got to be a social and tupperware thing where they catch up on all the gossip.