Walleye

Dana Lee

Just curious as to what everyones favorite tactic for walleyes is? I have a strip mine lake with them in it and was wondering how to approach them. Caught a real nice one last night while crappie fishing, trolling 2" twisters. Thanks.

Walleye tactics always remind me of watching paint dry since they usually involve some form of slow trolling. It does not help that live bait is usually involved. I like to fish for Bass or Pike and let the Eyes come along as bonuses. So I would go with deep running bass lures (or flies) and hope to score an occasional Eye. For trolling the Slow Death rig is the latest greatest. Work one of those while you troll for Crappies.

I figured I could rely on you guys for some good ideas. Thanks a lot. Do people still throw swimbaits without an Alabama rig?!? Haha. I was gonna revamp my shad rap assortment and get some lindy/crawler harnesses. Shad raps are amazing pressured water bass baits.

get some jointed shad raps. rattlebaits also work well on walleyes.

is there any standing timber in the pit ? if so try working a spinnerbait thru them. walleye like spinnerbaits too.

It has no timber whatsoever. Choked with weeds out to about 8 ft. Drops pretty hard into 15-20 after that. Couple real good points that are quite large.

Walleyes can be very finicky. Sometimes it does take live bait to catch them consistently. If you are strictly a lure guy I have a few tips for you. Fish low light periods, cloudy days with a nice chop, sunrise, sunset, or at night. Work that outside weedline and the major points. If there is any kind of midlake hump or sunken island, that could be money. Lures: jigs with twisters, paddletails, or gulp. I've had very good luck with walleyes and gulp alive. Deep diving crankbaits. If you don't mind trolling, 3 way rigs with floating rapalas or spinner rigs work good when they go deep. Don't be afraid to use obnoxious colors like chartreuse, yellow or orange.

Most of my experience w/walleye has been live bait and in Canada and in a summer pattern. We were fortunate to be on a lake with outstanding structure consisting of flats, humps and points. We trolled the flats with bottom bouncers and spinner harnesses. This would probably work along the weedline and of course any flats. We worked the points and humps with a simple split shot and egg sinker about 18-24 inches above a hook, slowly back trolling with and open bail keeping contact with the bottom. Feel the hit, drop your line, wait a few, reel up, feel fish, set hook. 6-8 pound mono, leeches #8 or #10 short shank hook (yes it's amazing we caught 10 pound fish on such a small hook...) chubs took a #1 or #2 hook.

Ditto to to what Paul said also although we would catch fish all day long in bright sunshine but it was Canada. The key is going to be finding the fish.

Dang now I'm hankering to go back to Canada... might have to pull some pictures out.

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of crankbaits, in my experience 'eyes will hit a multitude of cranks when they are in the mood. However, if I had to pick one crankbait that has produced more walleyes, and not to mention the largest number of good-sized 'eyes for me, it would be the Rapala Tail Dancer.

On the topic of crankbaits, in my experience 'eyes will hit a multitude of cranks when they are in the mood. However, if I had to pick one crankbait that has produced more walleyes, and not to mention the largest number of good-sized 'eyes for me, it would be the Rapala Tail Dancer.

ssshhh

As a friend of mine points out . It's usually not the bait you use it's how you use the bait. That said, most of my fish have come on 4" twisters and swimbaits in chartreuse, orange/yellow, and pearl. I would guess this is because I like to fish these baits for them. I usually fish them near bottom or along shallow shorelines at dusk. I suppose I miss a lot of suspended fish being I haven't fished for them. I would guess they may be suspended along that deep weed bed or the ledge below it.

ssshhh

Apparently, the Tail Dancer has been good to you when it comes to walleyes as well. In my experience (and based on the responses, other ISA members' experiences as well) it seems like walleyes tend to favor baits with a bit of length to them such as the Tail Dancer etc. Diving stickbaits can be consistent producers as well, e.g. Bagley's Diving Bang O Lure and several of Rapala's other offerings.