Shimano Sahara?

Mark K

I swore I would never buy another Shimano spinning reel, but I have a gift certificate from Sports Authority and they are 25% off now. It looks like a pretty well made reel. Still I'm apprehensive after owning two Stradics which were two of the most troublesome reels I've ever owned. Well in fairness they are okay reels as long as you don't get them anywhere near water. They both bind up if they get dunked. They are also kind of delicate things I toasted the clutch on both, probably by slingshotting jigs out of the rocks. These were not cheap reels either. I think they were over $100 bucks. I have a few Diawas that have waaay more use on them and one only cost 50 bucks (Regal Z). I like Shimano baitcasters but I cannot tell you how many times those Stradics almost went to Davey Jones' locker. I had a couple of Symmetres before that and they were pretty good.

Funny, Shimano makes bike parts too. The more expensive they are, the more durable AND they better they function.

Doesn't seem to me that the reel people have that quite down yet.

Frankly I don't need this reel. I'm thinking of leaving up in Wisconsin so I don't have to haul gear back in forth when I go on vacation. The Sahara looks like a pretty good reel to me, though especially for 45 bucks. Not as dainty, a little more beefy and not over engineered. Comes with a nice extra spool too. The only draw back i see is that they feel heavy and the spool is a little on the small side. Still looks like a nice reel. On the other hand if this thing were to bind up even once I would be kicking myself in the arse for a long time. Especially on vacation in Wisconsin when i do most of my smallie fishing these days.

So...my specific question is. Are Shimano Sahara spinning reels afflicted with the dreaded binding-when-wet syndrome?

Mark

I still have my Stradic, and I concur that it did bind up with a slight dunking (I lost my balance and momentarily plunged the reel under). However, after many years of use, I think it performed pretty well. My daughter still uses it.

Don't know much about the Sahara's....sorry.

I do own a Stradic1000. It's my one and only high-dollar reel. I love the light weight and the 6.0:1 ratio. I've heard the warnings about Shimano, but I've also heard lots of praise. I'm probably going to have to baby this reel, but so far I like it.

I also have an Okuma Alumina20 which is a wee bit heavier than the Stradic, but it's a really nice, well made reel! There is even a water tight gasket to protect the drag disks from "dunk junk". For just under $70.00 it's a great deal. People who use Okuma's LOVE them. They usually end up using nothing else. I've actually have another Okuma (Inspira20) on order.

If you ever get the chance, try one out, I chose mine over a Symetre and a Catalyst(Quantum). As far as my Stradic goes, I'll see how it treats me this year before I buy another one. I would highly suggest Okuma's to anyone.

I have been buying the Bass Pro Shop Pro Qualifier Spinning Reels at $79.95. The lastest one I bought has eight Ball Bearings and the large diameter spool plus and extra spool. It is so smooth that with the antireverse off and about a 1/2oz. drop-shot weight in will draw line down. The older model that I bought last year is just as smooth and works like a charm. I am more then happy with the performance of these reels.

Mark:

I have owned and used both reels - the stradic and sahara. You are dead-on right - the stradics cannot take ANY WATER!!!! Pissed me off. I no longer buy shimano spinning reels. Now, i did own a couple of Saharas and I must say they seemed to be less "touchy" and able to take a little abuse.

If there was a shimano spinning reels I had to buy, it would be the Sahara

A Shimano Sahara was the last Shimano reel I ever bought. It lasted about 3 months and the bail spring broke so I had to manually flip it over after every cast. The bail then didn't always sit properly and when I would set the hook sometimes the bail would flip back to open and I would miss a fish. That was very frustrating for me. Combine that with binding up while wet and after 4 months I retired it. At $59.00 it was the most expensive reel I had ever purchased and now was the last Shimano I'll ever buy.

Don't let my bad experience sway you, maybe I just got a bad one.

A Shimano Sahara was the last Shimano reel I ever bought. It lasted about 3 months and the bail spring broke so I had to manually flip it over after every cast. The bail then didn't always sit properly and when I would set the hook sometimes the bail would flip back to open and I would miss a fish. That was very frustrating for me. Combine that with binding up while wet and after 4 months I retired it. At $59.00 it was the most expensive reel I had ever purchased and now was the last Shimano I'll ever buy.

Don't let my bad experience sway you, maybe I just got a bad one.

'nuff said. I'm having flashbacks.

Mark,

I have two Stradics. they get splashed and they sieze up. My Stradics have been limited to the power boat where less inclined to get damp.

I own three Sahara's. They have been the ONLY bright spot in the Shimano line!!! I have put them thru heck and they continue to deliever. Great modest value and great performance.

I've becoming a fan of Okuma. I have the Metaloids series but will be next looking at the Alumina.

I have NO complaints about the Diawa Catalyst PTi spinning reels. Bigger price tag equals great reel!

Thanks Rick. I believe you about the Sahara, but I think I'm going to pass. Some people have luck with Shimano reels, even Stradics. I'm not one of them Can't risk that binding nonsense. Nothing worse. It only seems to happen when you're killing' em too.

Like I said, I'm not really in the market for one but I saw the sale. I was thinking of getting one because I have the gift certificate and Sports Authority sucks, so it looked like a good place to use it. can't hurt to have an extra rigged and ready to go.

If I were to actually spend real money on a reel, I would just get another Daiwa SS 1300. One of the few reels you can count on outliving you, it weighs almost nothing and it has the smoothest drag ever put on a reel it's size.

That's why steelhead and saltwater guys love them so much and why Daiwa has been making them for the last 15 years with no changes.

There are very few reels that can boast that.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years, I've heard comments about the Shimano reels, giving problems, after getting a dunking.

Personally, I fish with mostly Shimano reels, and have NEVER had a problem with anyone of them.

I fish in the rain, I've had them dunked and have not experienced the issues some have mentioned.

On numerous ocassions, I've discussed with those persons, and have posted on the forums,

that I'd get their reels serviced or replaced and the problems corrected.

To date NONE of those who have complained, have taken me up on the offer---but still complain.

(Most of the posts were in the previous forums, of years back, before the new site went into effect).

Shimano is a top notch company, with design and service.

I've been using Shimano reels and have been dealing with the company for over 20 years.

No problems or issues, that they haven't addressed or corrected.

Shimano wants to hear from you, the customer.

If there is an issue or problem, they want to know about it.

If you have an issue or problem, bring it to me, and I'll do everything I can to assist you.

Shimano made some design enhancements to their reels---one, by introducing an ARB (Anti-Rust Bearing).

This seems to have corrected the problems some were experiencing.

Oxidation can form on the bearing surface, resulting in a harder or less fluid-like turning of the reel handle.

Okuma reels---

When they first came out, a few years back, they were.....(I won't mention it herein).

I've had 5 of 6 reels returned, for several different defects---handles breaking off, parts falling off, drags not working or locking up, line counters didn't function, reels broke---just to name a few.

Very cheaply made.

Okuma has made improvements in their reel designs and have a better reel today.

One thing I keep in mind, is the service a company offers.

Shimano is the BEST, to say the least.

Others are close---some are okay....

and some---you can't get them serviced!

Service parts? Whats that? Some companies don't stock parts in the USA.

Also, Shimano doesn't make "house brand" reels---like other OEM's.

NOTE: keep your proof of purchase receipt(s).

Lots of goods are bought on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

The buyer may get stuck with an inferior product---where does he go for service?

Most companies require "proof of purchase", when requesting warranty service.

Most don't save their receipts---it's important to do so.

Might be as simple as improving the seals around the housing? I think water in the housing will gum up any reel, but maybe I'm wrong. When it happened to me, I opened the reel to air it out and added some new grease and it went back to normal. Unless I fall (which used to be rare, but is increasing) or lay my reel unintentionally in the water, it stays pretty dry. However, I don't wade and fish "up to my elbows" so to speak, but some do. I imagine a reel dunking is pretty common then. I've had them bind up, and it is annoying, but it can be remedied easily.

Scott,

Your right. MY BAD!!!

Too many 75 hours work weeks since the time when this was written.

Accepted new position that will allow reality to normal hours and clarity of the mind.

OH! Sahara's are the one of the best far as Shimano value. I'm looking more to Okuma.

See ya on the water in Illini waters this year?

GO Blue!

!

Rick, the Catalyst PTi is a Quantum, not a Diawa.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

Wonderful feedback, it goes to show you about the same with some automobiles...... The difference between your Kia/Hyundai and your Toyota is all in the level of customer service. Sorry, American cars included to a point. I've fixed a lot of buyer's remorse @ the parts and service department counters over the years because of advertising promises... Off that soap box for now and onto fishing again.

My Shimano reels include one black, graphite spinning w/ the original rear-fighting drag system......Great, dependable reel.

I also own 2 Sedona 2500's (cousin of the Sahara??) and they have been excellent. Good reel for $50. I got my crowning jewel last year on a consignment sale, gently used: Calcutta CT-50 for light bassin'.

I also have Abu Garcia reels I swear by, not at that have been faithful for some time now, mostly Cardinal series. I have my original UL spinning reel is a Gold Max w/ all the writing warn off but it still cranks like mad! This reel is almost 20 years old.

In contrast, I spoke w/ guides that swear by South Bend musky reels in cold, damp weather (sorry...) rather than their Abu 5500's that would seize up.

I have never had any serious problems w/ any of the Abu Garcia or Shimano reels. I still purchase and own both. My worst luck has been w/ Quantum/Zebco reels but they quickly corrected them by replacing the whole reel rather than repairing it!

The debate continues..................................... ;)

I have a Stradic 2 years old and have beat it up pretty good. Love the reel. I have had problems with it, that were fixed by cleaning and relubing. Too bad about the binding- the reel is awesome.

Pflueger Presidents anyone? I have two of these. They're solid for 59-99. They also just came out with A new 100$ spinning reel that looks great if you want something light with high gear ratio 6:2:1 Pflueger Supreme.

I have a Stradic 2 years old and have beat it up pretty good. Love the reel. I have had problems with it, that were fixed by cleaning and relubing. Too bad about the binding- the reel is awesome.

Pflueger Presidents anyone? I have two of these. They're solid for 59-99. They also just came out with A new 100$ spinning reel that looks great if you want something light with high gear ratio 6:2:1

Binding may be a result of numberous issues---component failure, inadequate or no maintenance.

There are some issues, that the OEM needs to address---therefore it may be in the best interest to return it to the OEM, for service issues.

Some anglers try to service reels themselves---some use improper lube, some not reassembled correctly, loose fasteners, lost parts, just to name a few, that may cause more problems.

I frequently see reels that are improperly lubed, and some incorrectly reassembled.

Many reels today are more technical and complicated, over a Zebco 202.

>>>Pflueger Presidents<<<

Find out the "after sales service" you'll get from the dealer, before you make the purchase.

Will the dealer provide the "after sales service", what is there return policy, or do you have to send it in to the OEM?

Many reels on todays market need to be returned to the OEM, for any service issues.

What's their turn around time and fees?---parts, labor, shipping costs?

Reel tech services may not stock the needed parts.

Some OEM's service issues are are currently taking 8-10 weeks!

• 1 year later...

Bterrill,

Fishing in the rain this June my Pflueger President bound up so tight I could barely turn the crank. I had just oiled it before leaving on the trip too. After a couple of days in the garage it returned to normal.

Gregg

Got to fish it tonight. I hope this reel isn't afflicted with SBD (Shimano Binding Disease, not to be confused with your partners case of SBD, silent but deadly) cause so far I like it a lot. It's on the heavy side, but it has a nice positive feel and it doesn't feel too delicate. It takes some force to close the bail, which I consider to be a good thing. I hate reels that have a bail so easy to trip that they snap shut as you cast. Ever have that happen? I call it "Premature Snapulation" or PS. Actually a lot of other reels are afflicted with PS.

This reel is a winner so far and I'm happy about that cause I love Shimano Products (bike and fishing) and it would be nice to be won back to their spinning reels.