Dueling outdoor-fishing shows

Dick G

I got to work both shows at Rosemont and Schaumburg last Friday and Saturday. Here are a few impressions about both venues. The Rosemont show was a ghost town at times on Friday. There were more hunting and resort booths than there were fishing focused ones. I saw a few minutes of presentations at the big fish tank, and they were sparsely attended. The best part of the Rosemont show was Dan Basore's historical fishing gear display. Dan said he was having a very productive show.

The Schaumburg show on Saturday was really jumping. The aisles were very busy with foot traffic and the seminars were standing room only. Another popular spot was the big tank where you could try out different kayaks. Here, the emphasis was definitely on fishing gear with a lot of different manufacturers represented. I wish the two shows could be combined into one super event.

Did anyone else attend both shows and have any comparisons or contrasts to comment on?

I attended Rosemont last year. It was good. This year I went to Schaumburg. It was better. It was nice to go to an Expo that was geared primarily toward fishermen. That's the main reason I attend these things. I don't hunt and I don't need an RV. As far as attendance this year the Schaumburg show was new so it may have drawn people for that reason alone. They may have done a better job advertising.

Having worked the Rosemont and Schaumburg shows, I favor discontinuing our booth at Rosemont and devote our energies and volunteer support to the Schaumburg show. In my opinion, the Rosemont show proved to be a loser . . . unless, of course, we gained other new members on the days that I didn't work.

We actually had about the same number of sign ups at both shows. From what I heard, the owners of the Rosemont show tried to combine the 2 shows but the Schaumburg people rejected the offer. I think there should be 2 shows. One fishing show (Schaumburg) and a combined gun/hunting/ and travel adventure show at Rosemont. There was already that combination going on at Rosemont, they just weren't all in the same space.

I attended the Schaumburg show and It was just O.K.. If I hadn't attended I don't really feel like I would have missed much. Pete's Pickle booth was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of pickled products but they had some unique and tasty stuff.

I attended Rosemont Saturday (where I met Pat) and Schaumburg Sunday (where I joined ISA with Kip). I too appreciated the fishing focus of the Schaumburg show. The vendor displays, kayak demo, and pickles were a hit with my girlfriend and I. I scheduled my time at Rosemont specifically the seminars on river fishing from Gapen and smallmouth fishing from Mike Mladenik. Rosemont had more vendors in volume, but more of them seemed to have less to do with fishing and more to do with conventions (knives, eyeglass cleaning, etc.). I'm looking forward to Tinley Park next month.

Guest rich mc

i like the convenience of schaumburg. it was easy to walk to, unload booth gear[i helped john] . naturally it had more fishing booths but it was also brighter inside. one thing i didnt care for was they had clubs in the same aisle, same for resorts. having them mixed up would be a better idea. same for most fly related booths , they were next to or across from each other. i purchased some flies at rosemont from a new vender and only purchased some beef sticks at schaumburg for my dogs.

perhaps rosemont needs to drop the wednesday 4-9 slot as its dead in the middle of the week. steve and i talked to some nice prospects and even having his wood stool there didnt bring us luck in signing some of them up. rich mc

I for one was happy with the Schaumburg show. I had seen the website for you guys and was happy to join. I had not been to the rosemont show for 10 years because it had been so bad. I was told by several others at the Schaumburg show that i was better off here, and that was confirmed by several others that i work with. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Looks like its both shows at the same time again next year. I've been exhibiting our Historical Fishing Display at Rosemont since 1982. Started to work sports shows since the 1960s in Indiana before moving here. Rosemont was great as we're most sports shows back then.

But so many groups have pulled us apart it seems that fishermen and the fishing industry continues to try to self destruct. Schaumburg is run by the Association of Sports Fishing and I believe they are trying to put Rosemont out of business. So many groups have split off and now have their own shows.

And who can beat the Bass Pro Shops Spring Classics? I wish the ASA would join us in one location. I wish that we all could work together for our common interests. We have so many threats.

If you didn't take the time to go through our 160 foot historical display, or spend time talking with the great anglers like Dan Gapen, Mike Milandik, Jonathon VanDam and more you really didn't do the Rosemont show. I learned a lot from them. Dan's as enthused as ever discovering why fishing deep can be so effective and demonstrating through his enthusiasm how fishing is a lifetime learning sharing sport. We have real experts in thevISA booth that are happy to share great local info but so few take advantage of these resources. I added many new old items to our displays including Medevil hooks and more. How many took the time to look? Or do attendees think they''ve seen all the exhibits before and can't learn anything new? Most seminars had poor attendance. Guess most everyone already knows more than the speakers.

I hear complaints about parking costs etc. but I can't pay much attention to them. What's it cost to park and go to anything else in this area? At the same time as the sports show the Adventure Travel Show was upstairs. They charge $15 admission and attendees park in the same garage as we do.

Yet each year their attendance grows. Their seminars are attended by large packed attentive audiences numbering well over a hundred, hungry to learn about someplace to go. Saturday was their biggest in attendance ever. Same place same time and they kicked our butts.

But most are to cool to listen to the fishing experts or talk to exhibitors who are eager to share their expertise. If we continue the self destruction we won't have to worry about which show to go to any more. The antis and polluters and the next generation won't be carrying on our hunting and fishing traditions. Are we a dying breed? Are we self destructing?

Dan I can remember when I would take a couple of days off just to go to the Rosemont show, and then go with friends and family on the weekend. I agree that it would be a great idea to bring them all together for the wrestlemania off all shows. I for one have always enjoyed your display! I hope we are not self destructing or a dying breed, I do think that the powers that be in Rosemont will not play nice with others. This is what I have heard and not at all being negitive with them as I like the village.

I went to the Schaumburg show on Sunday and really enjoyed the Kayak and Paddle and Trail exhibit. Gained some valuable insight from my discussions with Drew Gregory of Jackson Kayak and the Paddle and Trail crew. Enjoyed seeing the other kayak options and new technology. Stopped by the WFN booth next to the Kayak exhibit and was given a shirt that reads "Live to Fish, Forced to Work".