NWR River Clean Up

The future forecast is looking pretty darn tootin' good for the 23rd.

The Kish should be at a good level for floating.

Let me know.

April 23 (Saturday) at 8:00am

River Clean Up - We’ll meet at the Cherry Valley Cafe for some grub
and then head out to clean up the banks of the Kishwaukee River.
Float or walk the shore line and of course a bit of smallmouth fishing.

I think it's the "clean up" aspect that might scare some away. That's ok. If you can only make the breakfast that's fine too. Or maybe help clean up for an hour then spend the rest of your day fishing. Any help is appreciated. I'm looking forward to it.

Did Tim scare everyone away?

I just figured Tim would bring all 23 of his kids and no other help would be necessary. (Actually, I'm getting flooring installed Saturday.)

Unfortunately 3 of the 23 will be gone this weekend. What kind of flooring?

Luxury Vinyl Tile. Yep…luxury baby. Since we practically run a dog rescue mission, it was time to get something a little more dog proof.

Luxury Vinyl Tile. Yep…luxury baby. Since we practically run a dog rescue mission, it was time to get something a little more dog proof.

So that's what happens when the kids leave the nest, you replace them with fuzzy children?

I can't believe you Terry, I finally get a day to fish the Kishwaukee and you want me to clean it up first? See you at the Cafe.

I will pack up the yak and gear late tonight when I get home...if I can get out the door by 7am I will try and show as it sounds fun. Seems I'm picking up garbage most every outing as it is might as well do it "officially". If I can't get the early start (life) I will do a solo trip later in the day.

So we ended up floating a 5.5 mile section of the lower Kish, a section none of us had ever really floated.

Before we put in we met at a local eatery and choked down some morning grub and gargled with a few cups of joe.

The morning load up was a bit nippy (Tim wore a jacket) but by the time we put in it was warming up quite nicely.

It ended up being a very nice day to float and pick up trash along the river.

Of course we each wet a line along the way, and I am pleased to report that we all caught fish and happy to say that

we all caught some good quality fish. I'll let Tim and Ben share their info with their numbers and size.

I nailed a 19" smallmouth on a tube within 10 minutes of the put in and ended the day with a total of 4 smallies.

I think Tim and Ben hit double digits but I'll let then tell you their sides of the float.

More pics of the day.....

Interesting Terry, PM me some more details, did they have that two tone truck?

I had a great time on this float, the first half of it was pretty red hot fishing. The 2nd half was slow, it just didn't look like great small mouth water, It was beautiful though. I brought around 10 fish to hand with one that might have hit 17", the rest were smaller but very aggressive. I also lost 3. Threw streamers on the fly all day, belly scratchers and clousers worked. The fish were taking them off the banks. I'll post up some pictures tonight, thanks for organizing Terry!

On a side note we didn't come across a whole lot of garbage with the exception of one bank that was full of cans, key word WAS!