planting 13 follow up

First a shout out to Tim U who spent the night in the hospital. Hope you are home & feeling better - all went well due to your planning. A trip out is in order to view our work ( & catch some fish).

Some numbers:

2nd year on Batavia VFW site

1000+ water willows planted

19 volunteers @ 4 hours = 76 hrs.

5 newer members helped. Thanks to Jim & Jamie Wright, Brian Rous, Mike Antikauskas, & Tim Cook, great job!

Great work & thanks to Pat H, Ron K, Ed L, Scott F, Ed B, Eric S, Tom L, Eugene C.

This remains one of the best opportunities the club has to help the river. We plant locations & the habitat is improved there in as little as 2 or 3 years, but we are also seeding the stretches downriver between sites. In 10 years more of the middle fox will look like our other area rivers with thick banks of water willow lining the shores. Quite an accomplishment.

Finally thanks to Bob Rung IDNR, Larry Creekmur Country Road Greenhouse & the Friends of the Fox.

John L

We were light on volunteers so every single person that showed up to assist was crucial to the completion of the planting. Everyone worked (and sweated) very hard. Once the planting was finished, we enjoyed a nice picnic lunch in the shade. I think we can all agree that once we cooled off, it was downright nice in the shade with a light breeze. All the fishing talk had me fired up to wet a line so after lunch I (foolishly) put on the waders and set out under the blazing sun. I cast a Live Target shallow-running crawfish crank and worked hard for a single bite, but finally had a boil behind the lure near some boulders. Gave it a sharp pause and that trigged the smallie to crush it. Had a nice fight and finally brought one to hand. Also found another mulberry tree full of juicy purple berries. Took off around 1:40.

Thanks to John Loebach for assembling lunch and being such a great host, educator and motivator throughout the day. Thanks to ALL the volunteers. We really needed your help and you came through as always! Great to see some familiar faces and to meet some new folks. Always impressed with the kind of people that are attracted to the ISA. Top-notch in many ways ... from volunteer spirit to work ethic to fishing knowledge to gear. All pros in their own right.

You can see the captions in the file names at the pics below.

Guest rich mc

thanks to the sportsmen that did the work. I wish I wasn't under the weather or I would have been there with my 3yr old grandson since these plantings will benefit him the most rich mc

Hello All! Thank you everyone for the well wishes and I apologize for missing this event.

After 27 hours of frustration I was released from the hospital and told I was not suffering from a heart attach(which I pretty much knew when I went in). Unfortunately that is all I know, I am still having abdominal pain and will be following up as an outpatient this week to try and determine a cause. For some reason the hospital was unable to do any sort of test or even address the issue while they had me locked up for the day, but I am sure they will have no trouble billing my insurance company for my stay in the cardiac unit.

Thank you to all the volunteers that helped make this event a success in my absence.

A proud daddy moment for me to have my teenaged daughter involved. (As she is very earth friendly). Also a proud ISA moment. I knew I could meet plenty of good people who share the same passion for the water. Events such as this one are truly a blessing. No better way to give back. Those little plants do way more than just create a great habitat. They help to bring the balance back to a fractured ecosystem.

It is also great to meet the members who post on our forum page; Ed B. Eric Tom L. RonK John L.

Tim U. Godspeed. Get yourself better. And thank you for planning a great event.

I, too, had a terrific time at the planting. It's always great to see friends I've made during the few years I've been a member and I always enjoy meeting newer members. The ISA really is a terrific organization.

I had a great time also! All of the people were very friendly and easy to get along with. I also learned a few things like dont be lazy(go back to the car to get your work gloves and sunscreen),also new waders do not always mean they will not leak. Blisters will go away as well as sunburn and a wet crotch, but the memories of a good time will be with you forever. Thanks to all and hope you feel better soon Tim U.