Gar

asherman

Wow! That is a monster! Though supposedly they're non-existent in Illinois, I have seen one gator gar in my entire life in Illinois and although it was huge, as long as my boat oar, nothing close to that one. I love the fact that he was using an old recurve with an old "outdated" shoot thru spool reel. Good for him. Hmm, wonder what those fillets would taste like from a fish that old?

John,

they're protected in Illinois so you can't shoot them. I may have stated this before but I did have one come up right next to the boat one night at 3 AM while bowfishing on the Sangamon River just west of Decatur, IL. It's head was as wide as a dinner plate but he was mostly submerged so I couldn't see his exact length. But he sure put to shame even our largest Illinois longnose gar that can get up 25 lbs. Below is my personal best at 60" and 20+ lbs, what a pup compared to that Texas thing, he would probably have eaten mine for lunch.

post-485-0-97646500-1340480187_thumb.jpg

I have shot one larger but it was on the Tennessee River at night so it wasn't an Illinois fish but a friend of mine got one near the confluence of the Wabash and Ohio rivers a year or two ago that went 25 lbs, it wasn't that much longer than mine but had an enormous belly and was getting ready to spawn. Again a mere pup when compared to a 300+ lb Gator gar in that article. I simply can't imagine getting that beast in.

Well you're right on that account but with gar, you don't have to do any de-boning, just two long strips of boneless white meat. A couple tips though, a pair of tin snips works wonders when making the one initial cut needed down the superior mid-line through their armor like scales. Also don't let the fillets soak in water in the fridge for any length of time, they absorb too much water and become somewhat "rubbery". If you change your mind, I've got some great recipes for fried gar balls. (Not what you're thinking) Also never eat the eggs of a gar as they're very poisonous.

Next up, spoonbill recipes from my grandmother's kitchen Ha

• 1 month later...

John,

just recently read an article that several states are reintroducing gator gar in the hopes that they can reduce the Asian carp population, Ha, like that's going to happen!

Btw,

yesterday while fishing smallies, the gar wouldn't leave my flies alone. I caught and landed 3 or 4 but had several on and too many hits to count. They were unusally agressive yesterday so I'm heading over tomorrow with some rope flies in hand and see if I can get any takers.