Trouble on the Kish

Terry Dodge

I guess last weekend (Memorial Day weekend) there were all kinds of fights, drunkenness, trash and a car in the river from tubers.

I have received word that there is going to be an emergency meeting/vote this coming week (6/4) of the Cherry Valley board of trustees on a new ordinance in the village of Cherry Valley to ban any alcohol at all allowed within the Baumann Park area. If this ordinance passes tubers will not be allowed to bring coolers packed with beer onto Baumann Park property.

Personally I hate the idea of taking the freedoms away that many enjoy because of a few bad apples but I have a feeling that this new ordinance will pass. If the ordinance passes I also believe that this will not stop the tubers. I expect the tube route to change.

Winnebago Co. F.P. District allows alcohol within it's parks. Keep an eye out for a "tube route" change. If you start seeing tubers on stretches of the Kish that you have normally not seen tubers, please inform the rest of us.

Thanks.

That brings back old memories. My wife and I used to enjoy camping in one of the W Co Forest preserves till the beer drinkingage went to 19 in "77. Then the preserve was full of buzzed skinny dipping teens every weekend. We switched to a private campground. Those were the days.

Guest Jim S.

Baumann Park was backed up to the corner of main street with everyone trying to get in. There was an army of people out there. It was much more calm too the NE.

Baumann Park was backed up to the corner of main street with everyone trying to get in. There was an army of people out there. It was much more calm too the NE.

I was a bit surprised by this info.

I saw that there were a lot of tubers out on Sunday but I did a Monday morning wade and was shocked to see that "party island" was nice and clean. No trash to be seen anywhere on the Kish during my wade. Some FOTKR must have done a sweep before my wade.

I guess last weekend (Memorial Day weekend) there were all kinds of fights, drunkenness, trash and a car in the river from tubers.

I have received word that there is going to be an emergency meeting/vote this coming week (6/4) of the Cherry Valley board of trustees on a new ordinance in the village of Cherry Valley to ban any alcohol at all allowed within the Baumann Park area. If this ordinance passes tubers will not be allowed to bring coolers packed with beer onto Baumann Park property.

Personally I hate the idea of taking the freedoms away that many enjoy because of a few bad apples but I have a feeling that this new ordinance will pass. If the ordinance passes I also believe that this will not stop the tubers. I expect the tube route to change.

Winnebago Co. F.P. District allows alcohol within it's parks. Keep an eye out for a "tube route" change. If you start seeing tubers on stretches of the Kish that you have normally not seen tubers, please inform the rest of us.

Thanks.

I believe all alcohol is banned in state parks which is a good thing for just the above reason rather than a freedom infringement.We shouldn't have to put up with loud mouth drunk tubers, canoers et al.

Oh how many sunk'n beer bottles and cans have I picked off the bottom of the Dupe? A freak'n lot thats for sure, it must be easier to sink em than pack the stuff out!!!

The pity is that many people who do stuff like that don't even think there's anything wrong with it.

Oh how many sunk'n beer bottles and cans have I picked off the bottom of the Dupe? A freak'n lot thats for sure, it must be easier to sink em than pack the stuff out!!!

I often think the same thing about the Dupe. I mentioned it to a friend and he said he thinks the people dump the cans because most of them are underage kids and they don't want to get caught with the empties. I guess it's enough to risk getting caught with the full ones. Either way it does really piss me off to see all those cans and bottles. I bet I could fill my 17' canoe in one float.