Hey guys, just curious if you guys know of a decent place to get leaders for a good price online? I've got to stock back up but sick of paying full price through the box stores. I've got to restock 2x-7x. Any advice? Thanks, Ryan

May I be the first smart azz to tell you to tie your own :) It's a lot cheaper and they can actually turn your fly over better especially with larger flies. The only draw back is the additional couple of knots that will collect pond scum but on the rivers or clearer water those knots won't create any problems. If you still want to buy them, JStockard only charges $5 shipping for any order, FeatherCraft is faster if you need it in a rush and Cabela's Climax brand are the cheapest that I know of. I also like Bear's Den because they only charge the actual shipping which can be pretty cheap. Hope this helps.

With $4 gas, food costs going thru the roof (in part because corn is stupidly being used for fuel) I don't sweat the cupl $ spent on leaders.They last a long time & you can make them last still longer by using either a tiny o ring available from Feathercraft or the smallest swivel to attach the tippet to the rest of the leader thereby lengthening its useful life indefinitely. A plus with the swivel is it prevents tippet twisting when certain flies are cast.

ronk - So are you saying that you buy a tapered leader and then after so many uses ( as you get closer to the butt) you then tie on a swivel/o-ring and then add tippet to that?

Actually I usually don't.I was just making a suggestion to anyone who wants to save a few $ on leaders.I should dp it more, It is a good practice.

I tried using some off-brand knotless leaders from an eBay-only fly shop, but they were consistently lower quality and didn't test at the rated breaking strength. Maybe fine for smaller fish that don't test tackle. I'm back to buying Rio and SA leaders from the local fly shop. 3-pack of "Powerflex" saves a couple bucks off the single packs.

I agree with Mike, in addition to my previous post, that I often go with a straight piece of heavier mono or flouro, or I build a tapered leader with roughly 50% (give or take) being thicker material (30-50# on 6wt and higher). So you could save a ton of money just doing them yourself. Plenty of formulas out there for building the ideal leader...I just prefer fewer knots for fewer liabilities.

By the way, Mike, cool video on furled leaders. Thanks for posting that.

Hey Ryan, you should have come to the last central tying event. I made furled leaders for the ones who showed up.

If you want to start making them on your own, we should get together. Once you've got the system down it's pretty quick.

Once you make the jig for them, the only cost is the thread, mono, or florocarbon to make them. You can get 2 or 3 leaders from 1 spool of thread.