Deceiver first tie

Hey guys, Im going to visit my sister in NYC second week of April, so I got a guide for a day fly fishing for Striped Bass. The guide said his go to flies were deceivers and clousers. This is my first deceiver, dont know why, I guess I've just become comfortable with the Clouser, and never found myself in the situation wishing I had a Deceiver! I'll tie a few up, different colors.

2rh5r48.jpg

It's 3'' long on the dot. I could easily tie it longer, but the guide actually said no longer than 3", which amazes me considering the size of the Stripers they catch. Although he did say, if they are able to spot a large fish, he has Pike style flies he will use.

Ryan,

'That is an impressive fly you have tied. I volunteer to Beta test..

Three inches is wimpy considering the size of stripers. Given the benefit of the doubt, he guide's preference for 3" could be based on the local hatch.

Here's the master tying the deciever.

I guess I should say Deceiver "style" fly. As in the video, Lefty used a lot more material than I did, and he almost always ties in the red for the gills. I guess that's the nice thing about fly patterns, they're easily adjustable to your specific needs. That's a good video I hadn't seen yet, he tied that a lot faster than I tied mine!

I guess I should say Deceiver "style" fly. As in the video, Lefty used a lot more material than I did, and he almost always ties in the red for the gills. I guess that's the nice thing about fly patterns, they're easily adjustable to your specific needs. That's a good video I hadn't seen yet, he tied that a lot faster than I tied mine!

Since you liked the first one, here's one more. Notadeceiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8NBayu7_Gk