Need help with Stripping Basket

Tom L

I've been wanting to get a strippring basket for a while now. And l can think of a couple reasons that I'd want a stripping basket.

1. Some times, I do fish from shores chasing largermouth on local lakes and ponds. Often times the weeds and debris on the ground tangled up the fly line.

2 . I want to start chasing muskie, pike or largemouth from a boat. A stripping basket may be handy when it is windy out.

The only criteria on the basket is that I don't want something that looks like a dishpan strapped to my waist.

I am leaning toward this "Charlie's Total Control Stripping Basket".

http://www.flyfishbasket.com/index.html

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried this basket or any other baskets. Thanks.

xlarge_c0d4ff9919311f7b8197786659be7ecb.jpg

Dare ye call the Kraken?

Seriously, if you read the other ISA forum thread, you can see that the topic generated a monster discussion. Lefty Kreh is a strong supporter of the concept, and that is enough for me. The beer vendor or washmaid look seems to be unavoidable. The rigid models like the Orvis tub have the advantage of those bumps in the bottom to keep the line from tangling. The folding mesh ones lack this though being able to fold up is a nice touch. I am going with the beer vendor look. I just bought my designer stripping basket from Target for $5.00. I will install mono loops made from weed wacker line to keep the line from shifting around in the basket and use a bunge cord for a belt.

Tom

If you're coming to the Blowout bring along your ffing outfit & I'll show you a strippng basket alternative technique that'll work from shore as well as making casting easier wading in current.

A stripping basket makes casting easier from a boat in wind???????????????????

I just made the $5 dollar "beer vendor" basket last week, just used wire ties run through holes in the bottom. I to was a little concerned about looks, but it worked great, first time I've fished this stretch of river by me without having to untangle line all the time, and it was nice to be able to rest the rod on it when needed.

I just made the $5 dollar "beer vendor" basket last week, just used wire ties run through holes in the bottom. I to was a little concerned about looks, but it worked great, first time I've fished this stretch of river by me without having to untangle line all the time, and it was nice to be able to rest the rod on it when needed.

Thanks Ryan.

I was just beginning to struggle with weed wacker line. Wire ties sound a whole lot easier. And they work.

Tom

If you're coming to the Blowout bring along your ffing outfit & I'll show you a strippng basket alternative technique that'll work from shore as well as making casting easier wading in current.

Ron - I'll bring my ffing outfit along to the blowout.

Someone should video this or at least snap some pics.

Heres a quick pic. Its rather crude, but really does work great. I just drilled two holes about a 1/4" apart and put the wire tye through. Drilled a few drain holes, and holes for the bungee, thats it.

m9lyx2.jpg

Thanks Ryan. Nice work.

• 1 month later...

Tom,

You definitely need some vertical posts inside the basket to help deter tangles in the running line. Mesh models always look appealing because of transportability, but the poor performance is likely not worth it. Holes in the basket are also not good if you are wading deep. If you want to give a mesh one a try, I have a William Joseph collapsable you can take off my hands. I used it on one trip to the gulf, but it's like new and I don't plan to use it any more. My first basket and the one I still use is a plastic dishtub from Wal-Mart ($2) with a wading belt threaded through it and 6" zip ties inside. Commercially, the one most favored by salties is the Orvis molded plastic model. It's a tad pricey, but they have coupons a few times a year that bring the price down. It is definitely the one I would go with if I upgrade. The curved plastic hugs the body nicely, the depth is perfect, and the molded cones are one of the best setups.

http://www.amazon.com/William-Joseph-Retractable-Stripping-Basket/dp/B000GIJ2TQ

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1433

i have heard fly anglers on the west coast thatlike to use a line control device called the hipshooter rich

Here's the old hipshooter himself on the topic dear to us all. He favors lots of drain holes cut in a sideslung wastebasket.

http://books.google.com/books?id=naXkqG4wq-UC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=Lefty+Kreh+Stripping+Basket&source=bl&ots=5HlIpQNqd9&sig=e5IDZ4B1TjaN9zkCyOvqmRPKId0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bZN5T-qwFsyEtgf9oeXaDg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false