Rod harness?

JimR

Hey guys, I'm looking for a way to take an extra rod/reel with me on wades. I was thinking of a strap or harness that would hold it across your back like quiver of arrows. Does anyone else do this or maybe have a DIY blueprint idea?

There used to be a device called a River Quiver that a guy who is now an ISA sponsor and guide used to make. I don't know if he still has any, but he might. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Give him a call. Pete Riedesel 815-433-6109

Member, Bterrill?, recommends a small crosslock snap for quick lure change. Beats lugging along another rod.

Member, Bterrill?, recommends a small crosslock snap for quick lure change. Beats lugging along another rod.

I agree but if you feel you really want a 2nd rod why not let your wading belt do dubl duty if you spinfish.THe fully rigged rod's long handle will be held securely along your backbone by the belt especially a wide one.That's what I did when carrying both a spin & a flyrod the latter being more difficult w/o that handle.

Sounds like I have some great places to start. Thanks guys. I'm not a big fan of the cross lock snap swivels. It's just a confidence thing as I'm sure they really don't have that much of an impact on your catch rate.

Duly summoned Mike! :) .You can use a snap as an alternative. Change your lures in seconds. All kinds of advantageous applications there. Keeps your casting more accurate as you will be using the same rod for everything.

When you are climbing up banks, fishing from high wooded banks a second/third rod really gets in the way for me. Just makes me less manuverable and more clumsy. If you aren't busting it through a lot of bush not as important.

Another cheapo alternative would be a cheap carabiner attached to your pack or vest and the rod tucked in a wading belt. Come to think of it, most vest have a system for carrying a rod.

Third Grip for sure...works as your wading belt, holds the second rod and a pair of plyers. RonG actually added an additonal rod tube on his using PVC...that way he has somewhere to put the rod he is using when he catches a fish or is changing lures.

Yes, with adding a short section of PVC tube, you can actually carry three rods. One in your hand and two in the 3rd grip..............I know, I know.........you think it has to be a hassle with three rods..............well, it is not. Don't knock it until you try it. In addition, if you purchase the fly rod adapter, you can carry two fly rods at the same time while wading.

Dana:

The pvc tube allows for a second rod to be carried in the 3rd grip. If you have one of the old models you would not have that capability. The newer models have the standard place for the one rod and then an angled, long pocket that the PVC tube fits into to allow for the second rod. I think you have the first model, which needs no PVC as you already have a hard, black tube section that has already been attached.

I think its a place for a fillet knife from the sound of the webpage but I just cram a baitcaster in it. So I can go with three if need be. Either way, love it and need me a camo one too.

Yes, with adding a short section of PVC tube, you can actually carry three rods. One in your hand and two in the 3rd grip..............I know, I know.........you think it has to be a hassle with three rods..............well, it is not. Don't knock it until you try it. In addition, if you purchase the fly rod adapter, you can carry two fly rods at the same time while wading.

Third grip for5 years now. still love it!