Mackinaw River Outing

The Mack. river outing on the 27 of August id for members only--this outing is on private property.

We will meet at Busy Corners resturant off Rt. 74 via the Goodfield exit.Meeting time is 8:00

and we will dispence from there. The mack. is low and we will just wade. Please let me know how many

plan to attend. This is our annual potluck, bring what you plan to cook on the grill and a dish to share

plus your own drinks and table service--no alcohol.

Contact Dave Franklin 309-830-6465. Hope to see ya soon.

You can bring a canoe if you desire--but the river is real low and

you will probably drag a lot. Good to see some reply and hope to have a fun day.

Is this a wet-wade trip, Dave? Do I expect to see several fly rods?

I am a new member and plan to be there. I'll be wet wading; hope the water's clear at least. Will call as well.

Thanks very much for hosting this.

Jon Hoekstra

Did you notice there are no postings, telling about the big fish caught, the bigger ones that got away? We did have a great turnout, must of been about ten of us meeting at Busy Corner in Goodfield, split up into three groups, hit various areas of the Mack. Our three went south, but in the four hours in the water, only two fish, none worth picturing. Back at Harold's there looked to be good food, but not much talk about fish. Did host Harold get two? Anyone else catch anything?

Mack Trip follow-up...

In my group I think we averaged one smallish smallmouth per person for the whole morning's outing. I got one by sheer luck and Harold got two well-deserved smallies on the fly. Bruce caught a white bass. Water was kinda muddy.

As for "not much talk about fish," were we at the same lunch? I heard about approximately 6,000 lbs of fish (mostly trout) being caught in Montana, Missouri, and points beyond. <_<

But as for our catches on the Mackinaw, well, there wasn't much to say... sadly. Still had a lot of fun though. Beautiful weather. Harold and Bruce said they saw a big fish, so there's your big one that got away.

Asking around I don't think anybody beat Harold's two small fish, and there were some really good anglers out there. Tough day on a river that seems troubled.

Did you notice there are no postings, telling about the big fish caught, the bigger ones that got away? We did have a great turnout, must of been about ten of us meeting at Busy Corner in Goodfield, split up into three groups, hit various areas of the Mack. Our three went south, but in the four hours in the water, only two fish, none worth picturing. Back at Harold's there looked to be good food, but not much talk about fish. Did host Harold get two? Anyone else catch anything?

Our group had two fish landed. Both by Jim, who landed two creek chubs on a piece of corn. He was thinking outside of the box. It looks like Harold is the master. I guess that's why he ended up with the mystery steak. There was some good conversation, and I enjoyed the outing and the company. Hope to do it again.

I think its mostly based upon the spot you fish. Tapped a spot last night we didn't fish and that gave up over 10 fish. Biggest was shy of 17. All on craws and minnow imitations. The spot I fished during the outing has been absolute garbage all year. I'm actually proud I caught one there. Nice spot we found way back in there too. Way too much siltation in this area.