Spawning smallies

WILLIAM C.

Seems to be another confusing season for the smallies.Last year with the early warm weather they were done by the first

of May,this year they are just getting going on the Duper.I walked a well know section and with the clarity of the water

I was able to spot many males getting the nests ready or just hovering around waiting for momma.I didn't see any nests

with both male and female on them but with weather warming this weekend it' going to happen soon.I did spot one with a green

jig hanging from it's jaw.Tried to get a picture but without a polarized lense it didn't turn out.

Appears to be good timing to head for Wisconsin and fish for other varieties.

I also fished a very clear section of the duper this past monday with a good friend.... I saw plenty of beds but no sight of nearby fish, maybe they have already spawned in my neck of the woods?

On a side note, there is a poor smallie crusin around the west branch with a custom white/chartreuse swim jig stuck in its mouth. If anyone should end up catching it, its all yours.

I also fished a very clear section of the duper this past monday with a good friend.... I saw plenty of beds but no sight of nearby fish, maybe they have already spawned in my neck of the woods?

I doubt it. I also saw plenty of beds yesterday. Came up on one and no fish. Snuck back up 15 minutes later and fish on it. Fish were also hanging off to the side blending with algae covered bottom. I wonder if the forecast/impending rain is going to further delay the spawn? Either way between the spawn and the algae that has finally bloomed I think I'm done for a couple weeks on this river. hate algae :angry:

Guest rich mc

its always good to know where they spawn at. i wont fish for them but will wa`lk the banks and make sure other anglers are being sportsman like . yellow card is in my wallet. richmc

I've seen signs of smallmouth spawning from March to August throughout the years. They adapt to the circumstances and don't all do the same thing at the same time.

Some have shown signs of being spawned out, others on the beds, others still feeding heavily. I did see some fry in the upper reaches of one of the cricks.