Improving monthly meeting attendence

Mark O'Donnell

Hi ISA Guys,

What if we were to turn every monthy meeting into a lure swap as well. Every attendee could bring oh! 3-5 lures that they surely don't care about or use anymore. Then we put our names in a hat, and draw them 1st one picked takes one, then down the line in order. Repeat process until done.

It might improve attendence?

Mark O'Donnell

Probably not good or appreciated at places like Gander Mountain, etc.

Mark O'Donnell

The lure swap would not draw me to a meeting but it would not keep me away from them either. I'm with Eric on the food thing. The meetings I most had fun at were at Pal Joey's ( a pizza joint in West Chicago). Personally, I could live without a speaker unless it pertained to club business.

The main thing that has kept me away from the meetings is a 2-3 hour daily commute and the locations and times never quite seem to work for me. Not much anybody can do about that. Can't please everyone.

It's tough to get anywhere during the week during the evening rush. Perhaps a Saturday evening meeting is in order?

The next two Chicagoland meetings will be breakfast club gatherings in Batavia. Look for the location/date/time in the newsletter and the calendar on this site.

Don R

I only have one type of lure.....and you can't have it.

:lol:

Mike,

Maybe this would encourage you to finally "see the light" and pick up a fly rod? B)

[attachment=457:attachment

Now yer talkin' some girth on those fly patterns.

As for coming over to the "light side", I'd actually enjoy the challenge.

....but I want to see Joz standing next to me in that class.

Bring the camera!

Oh, and not just a digital camera- we want video of this to put up on YouTube Bloopers or something.

I would love to attend the meetings, but its a 45 mile drive from my office to Geneva, and at the heigt of rush hour traffic, it just does not work. Would it be possible to rotate the locations? Dicks sporting goods has a Woodfield store which would be a good location for those of us in the NW Suburban area.

Instead of a lure swap how about a two minute commercial by the members on their favorite lure, and why. Or mabye one or two members take 5-10 minutes to discuss their favorite lure and techmique in more detail.

Since I like other's get stuck using the same old same old, this may help change those habits. I know that Scott does well with Senko's but I never have. A presentation by Scott on Senko's would be of value to me.

No I didn't tie it, but I was certainly blown away by it. The detailed stripes on the back, but still a white belly!

Oh my God, that tiger mousie is one of the most wicked flies I've ever seen! Did you tie it?

I had to think about this for a while. Why would I attend or not attend any meeting in general?

I'm assuming that we are talking about regular meetings, and not any type of outing or special event. I've not yet been to a regular ISA meeting, but have attended several outings (a cleanup on the Kank., a fishing outing, and several fly tying meetings).

I can think of two things that would cause me to really want to attend a meeting. One is if I feel that I am personally involved in what is going on, and things are getting done. And two, is if the meeting is about something that I am personally concerned about or care about. (things like conservation, fishing tactics, habit restoration etc.)

Things like lure swaps or fly swaps or food, really make a meeting more enjoyable, but are not make or break issues for me personally.

One suggestion (maybe this is being done already, not sure) is to post an agenda for each meeting, covering what will be discussed, what is hoped to be accomplished, special speakers etc. Maybe even set some goals for each specific meeting.

Saw this swimming in circles the other day before it expired. Two things came to mind. Gee, I wish Mike Clifford was here to see this and gee, I hope a fish comes up and nails this rodent! Sorry about the pic quality.

• 1 month later...

Consider making meeting once ever 2-3 months on a Saturday.

Try something like a 10 am - 2 pm.

The scenario with a presentation at 10 am. Then buisness till noon-12:30 pm. Lunch break and a short program, demonstartions or lure swap. to end the day.

This can be effective during the foul weather season and allows those with a drive or local members to invite a buddy a better opportunity to participate.

In "season" go to a breakfast location with business and a demo, program or angling to follow.

Fuel for thought.

I don't think dates and times mean nearly as much as location.

We have members from all across the state, but the NW and Central folks pretty much have a handle as it is more localized for them.

The Chicagoland region covers like a million square miles (no, I didn't actually do the math).

You can have guys in St. Charles that are not about to drive out to Joliet, and visa versa.

I do like what Don is doing with it this season and look forward to seeing how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am mostly interested in clean-ups. I think it's a great way for people to work together.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding meetings. Look in your next newsletter for October and November meetings. The information will also be available in the event forum and calendar of this web site.

One meeting format that has had some success.

Hold the meeting at an eatery were dinner and socializing can be offered before the meeting program.

If you find the magic formula. Please share it with TOSA. We had the same issue except when we offer a special speaker, program or activity.