Cast & Compare 10/23/10 8:30am - noon

Time for the members Cast & Compare at Hidden Lake Forest Preserve RTE 53 & RTE 56 in Glen Ellyn. Bring one or more of your new or favorite smallie rods to compare to others. This time Orvis will provide some of their new Access mid priced line of rods to try out. This is a great chance to try other lenghts, weights & actions to see what you like. We will meet by the lot in the northeast corner till lunch. Weather permitting I will grill or we can go someplace close inside. If you are new to fly fishing come out & learn!

This Saturday - Orvis will have 6 & 7 wt. rods brought by Lee Robinson Fishing Manager at Orvis Chicago.

In addition Joseph Myers of One More Cast is bringing two new rods not yet on the market.

From St. Croix designed by Kelly Gallop the 7 weight Bank Robber is made to cast large weighted streamers.

From Temple Forks the 6weight BVK part of a new line designed with input from Lefty Kreh, Flip Pallop & the designers at TFO. Both these rods use the new nano silica epoxy that allows lighter but much tougher rods.

Also I will have a range of Rio Clouser & Outbound lines, Airflo 40+ floating 7wt., & Rio's new Smallmouth line floating 7 wt. - Bring your 6 through 8 wt. rods for some sampling.

Thanks to both Lee & Joseph - We'll see you at Hidden Lake this Saturday!

see you there hoping some others will reply that they will attend.

I know there is a lot of bass buggers in the audience, are you all that content?

In your equipment? Not to be interested in the newest, latest & greatest Smallmouth fly rods?

All of you have been asking the manufacturers for this!!! WELL here it is!!!! What are you gonna do?

I am going to hijack John's cast and compare and open it to everyone, spin and baitcasters will now be included.If you have a spin or baitcasting outfit you would like to show off or if you are particularly proud of your casting skills,come on out and show us all.

Ed B

The best way to test a rod is with a fly you use for smb.So assuming there's actually a lake at this location with a shoreline open enuf for a good backcast I suggest you bring your rods fully rigged with a fly. A bassbug would be best for casting from shore.

Fishing

The true Hidden Lake is a glacier-dug pond tucked away among mature oaks and hickories. For anglers, the 15-acre Round Meadow Lake, created in conjunction with I-355, and the 10-acre Eagle Lake, dug in the shape of a soaring eagle by a previous owner as a memorial, offer bass, bluegill, crappie, and channel catfish.

The event went extremely well,in fact the rain never even slowed anyone's enthusiasm.While I don't have the exact number I believe there were around 20 or so in attendance.What impressed me the most though was how much help and advice was being freely offered to everyone,both by skilled members and certified fly casting instructors.In my opinion this is what our organization is and should be all about.

There were quite a number of pictures taken and I am sure that someone will post some.John has done a fantastic job once again and I am sure that he can fill in the specific details.

Thanks, Ed. 24 on the sign in sheet probably a couple more that I missed. At one point there were 3 FFF certified casting instructors sampling the gear & offering insight. Lots of gear to try with the members' experience levels ranging from Ron K's expertise to dark side newcomer Eugene C. I watched Spiz in the last year go from "what is this thing & how do I make it work" to casting (& catching) competence in part from exposure to this type of event. You can do it Eugene, its easier than it looks! Met a new member & we had a few from Chicago Fly Tyers in Park Ridge as well as a number of Drift members. Many of the Drifters are ISA members also. Jeff F.from Coren's Rod & Reel brought a rare Silaflex 6' 8wt. - for the vintage glass junkies. Orvis was a no show - boy did they miss out. Finally my thanks once again for Joseph Meyers/One More Cast support - without his help the new gear from TFO & St. Croix (new product not yet available) would not have been there. I did not get pics if there are some please contact me.

John

Jonn, it turns over heavy flies but it doesn't cast well close in. I think with the right rod(fast) it will excel at long pick ups & casts, think drift boat fishing. I fished it wading the Kank & it would pull line on the shoot off the water from downstream. Never had a line that could do that.For general use both the Clouser & Outbound are more versitile.

The Tight Lines boys bascially designed the line. What you told me is exactly what they told me. It is a line designed for long casts. It also has a harder coating than the clouser line that will not get all soft during the warm weather months. That is one thing I hate about Clouser..........the running line gets soft during the summer and twists like crazy. I guess this new line with its harder coating will not do that. Thanks for the insight.

• 2 weeks later...