Caught 100 pounds in a day!

Well as you can see, it's a hundred plus pounds of trash from the Fox River. This morning I waded a stretch of the Fox River for 2 hours with a big bin and filled it up with fencing, a pipe, glass, plastic and cans. I also strained a bit to pull out a water soaked blanket...for those of you who have done this, you know it takes a bit of effort to free it from the river bottom and pull it out on the river bank. In addition, I recovered a badly damaged child's car seat. All the trash was hauled out to my truck to be disposed of on Tuesday for trash day. The bin worked out great and allowed me to haul out trash not easily accessible...I cleaned up a far shoreline and carefully floated it, (so as not to tip and fill with water) back to the near shoreline where I pushed it up a gentle slope to the bike path. From there I pushed my treasure box full of crap, 500 plus yards to my parked truck...I was glad the bin slid nicely on the path...there was no where to pull my truck closer. After my little adventure, I came out to help the ISA booth at the hunting and fishing days for most of the day. When I arrived home, it was a quick shower and dinner, and then a short adventure to the pond with my daughter. I posted this for those who need inspiration to get out and volunteer. More people are needed to accomplish our goals as conservationists and fisherman. Do I want to bust my but everytime I go out....no...but I will do what I can to make things better for the next time I get out to fish. I also will do what I can for when and if my daughter takes up fishing. When I was at the ISA booth today I shared with many people who stopped by, why I joined ISA. I joined because I was catching more fish and bigger fish.....I told them that I realized my success was the result of many people before me working hard to make things better. If you are a person who has enjoyed success, perhaps giving back a little by volunteering is in order. Volunteering can be as simple as lining a back pack with a garbage bag and filling it up with trash as you fish. No matter where you fish, improving things takes a lot of work and time from volunteers. For those who volunteer, I want to personally thank you...my fishing success is the result of all your work and those before you. B)

post-211-128555049998_thumb.jpg

As one, who with my son Zach, has a lot of experience doing similar cleanups, I can say that was an impressive feat. then to volunteer at another event is true dedication. Congratulations Jim, we need more like you.

An astounding effort.

Your contributions to the cause are important and necessary, Jim.

Keep at it!

...and you do a bang up job of describing the club in our booths.

I'm always very impressed by your effort in this regard.

We have a bonafide booth pro right here.

Thanks Mike, I didn't convince anyone to sign up on Sunday but at least maybe I gave them something to think about later. I know I remember meeting someone at Shabbona...I'm pretty sure it was Rich. He talked about the ISA but I didn't really act on it until a year later. So maybe those who stopped by will join later. I think the message ISA is sending is the right one. For me conservation is the biggest attractor to the ISA. We are doing many things to make the fishery better...not just for smallies but for every specie that relies on a river or lake to survive. We all want to catch more and bigger fish...as you and most everyone here already know, conservation is the only way that's going to happen.