bug spray

Guest rich mc

One of the scout kids said his Off worked good. In looking online though I don't like what the precaution tab says...

Again in looking online the Theracell looks better and safer. However both seem to assume you are sitting in one place so it's doubtful either would work for hiking or fishing unless your sitting in one place "polishing rocks".

I looked up the chemicals in Thermacell, and it is a carcinogen when inhaled.

Nasty stuff, from the toxicity sites.

I was trying to figure out how bad it could be to have insect repellent ejected into my breathing space.

Clashes with the cigarettes too.

I purchased one last year since I spend a lot of time paddling my canoe and navigating along shorelines in search of smallies. Brush again a shoreline bush or branch and the mosquitoes swarm. But not around me with my repellent fan on. I've tested it . . . and it actually works like a charm!

Consumers Reports recently tested repellants.While the deet based repellants as expected woked well so did 2 non deet repellants:Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus which uses lemon oil & Natrapel 8 Hour whose active ingredient is a chemical called picaridin at a 20 percent solution.Both were judged as affective as the deet stuff making them a better choice than foul smelling, flyline threatening deet. I've used picaridin with Off Family Care & found it moderately affective with only a 5 percent solution for 2-3hrs.A 20 percent rate offers 7-8 hrs of better protection.

I have the Cutter with Picardin that I keep in my work truck.

It has a really pungent odor, yet everything I read about it states it has no odor.

This particular one is nasty.

Just a note to others- maybe stick with another brand on this one.

I have the Cutter with Picardin that I keep in my work truck.

It has a really pungent odor, yet everything I read about it states it has no odor.

This particular one is nasty.

Just a note to others- maybe stick with another brand on this one.

Don't store it in your work boots.

• 1 month later...

A little tid bit, once while flying back to the midwest, I happen to sit next to a gentleman whom I began talking with and found he worked for Berkley as a scientist involved with determining what scents/chemicals could be used as fish attractants and masking scents for their Berkley Power baits. One thing he told me was that while they had been obviously very successful in finding scents which attracted bass they had yet found anything at all that could act as a masking agent to DEET, according to him, it was one of the most if not the most repulsive chemicals that bass would flee from. So just be careful so as to keep it off your hands and then your baits.