Representing the ISA

Norm M

We had to cancel the stream monitoring demonstration set for today at the K3 state park due to safety concerns with the high water. Mike and I made the call earlier in the week and began the process of notifying folks. Due to some family health issues I couldn't get to all the bait shops that had flyers in them to put up notice of the cancellation. I felt that it was my responsibility to be at the site to let any one know who didn't get the word that the event was cancelled and why. Three guys did show up that had seen the flyer and wanted to see what it was all about. I explained what we were trying to accomplish with the demonstration, why it was necessary to cancel and offered my apologies for the inconveinance. They all took River Watch and ISA pamphlets as well as some tips on what to look for in fishing the high water conditions. They all understood the circumstances and said they appreciated the fact that the ISA had folks who cared enough to sit and wait like that. Hopefully that spread some goodwill and maybe some new members.

There was a fourth person who also showed up. He heard heard about the ISA from some internet sites that he declined to name. He also declined to give me his name. He basically had heard that the ISA was a bunch of elitist a-holes that for the most part didn't know didly about catching fish either. He had come down to see if we were actually going to hold the event and endanger people to advance our "agenda" or to cancel it and leave those that showed up no clue as to what was up thus wasting thier time. Either way it would have validated what he had heard and he was going to torch us for it. The first thing he saw was me catching a smallie out of high muddy water in conditions that he admitted he wouldn't have considered fishing in. The next thing he saw was the bag of trash I had collected from the banks of the river and creek. He asked if I knew anything about the event and I told him I was one of the organizers and was there to tell folks of the cancellation and explain why it was necessary to do so. After I offered up my apologies he said he would like to talk if I had the time as it appeared that the ISA was not what he had heard.

We talked about all the ISA has done over the years. He was especially interested in the conservation stuff and was amazed to learn that the ISA actually helps fund conservation projects. I spoke of all that Mike Clifford and I were involved with, about Scott's dedication to the newsletter for so many years and the quality of that newsletter. I told him of Eric's work in creating the website. He admitted that he had never personally checked us out before but had relied upon things others had said. He said that I had changed his mind as any group that had dedicated people like that, had accomplished what we had and if what he saw of my fishing was any indication of others in the group we might just know something about catching fish. As Johnny Cash once sang, he came away with a different point of view.

If the gentleman in question reads this please PM me thru this site if you have anything else to discuss while wetting a line.

For all of our members the point is, that you as an individual can make a difference.

Edit to add, a thanks to the fishing gods for the timing of that catch.

That was some of the best PR work I have seen Norm. I can only imagine what sites he was on that he heard we were not what we say we are. Great work on your part and you are what the ISA is about. Good people doing there part to help the Rivers and Streams of Illinois. Lets face it though you are the God of the Smallmouths in Illinois.

That's a nice story Norm. Not everyone would go and sit at the river like you did looking out for people.

Gary you would be shocked at what's out there... I too had some trepidation at joining several years ago but was fortunate enough to meet and get to know a few members (Don, Norm, Jonn) and based on that along with going to a Blow Out I saw nothing but good things that were completely opposite of what I heard.

Thanks for being there Norm. Despite all our good intentions there will always be those that want to find fault with us and won't stop looking till they find something. As a group we always strive to do the best we can and for the most part we accomplish that. I'm glad you were there to back us up. Thanks again.

Thanks.

I was just happy that it was someone who was willing to hear the other side and then mentally flexible to realize that the initial impression needed adjustment.

Mike,

I going fishing tomorrow with a guy from St Anne, doing a kids fishing program Wednesday with Stacey at the state park and going to a KRBC meeting Wednesday evening. If all goes as planned I'll get the heart tuned up Thursday, get out of the hospital Friday afternoon, recuperate on Saturday and back to work on Sunday. I won't be able to wade for a week or so until the leg heals but with the water up, I'll just fish slack pockets from shore or if it's down, I'll tight line for cats.

I really would like to get the Cup in game 6.

Unless they decide I need bypass to fix it, I'm not planning on slowing down.

Well I hope you don't need by-pass also but hope you will keep us posted on your progress. Don't like to see you down at all so take care of yourself.