Kankakee Outing Saturday 8/15

Scott Ferguson

Who all is planning to fish the Kank this Saturday? Now that summer is finally here, I think it's time the smallies start a major feeding binge.

Scott,

I'll be planning on it, since I missed all the other 2009 KKKee outings. I hope you're right about the feeding binge. I'll be throwing flies, and sometimes it's tough to get any fish attention that way. We'll see.

Matt

Hi, Scott . . . will do my best to make it down, but my wife has us lined up to attend a Yo-Yo-Ma concert at Ravinia Friday night starting at 8:00 pm. So probably won't make it home until 11:00 pm. That said, if I do make it, I'll undoubtedly be late since I have two-hour drive to the 3K State Park.

purple/white clousers, olive wooly buggers, black bunny hair leches and bead nymphs. yellow or white streamers for channel cats.

Rattle baits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwaters, jigs/various&sundry plastics, and flukes-weighted and unweighted.

Fast water, shade, low light times.

Water level and flow rate extremely low.

I'll be there, can stay until about 1130-noon, unless I get stuck working a split shift until 0300 the night before. Gotta keep the main line of Mid America rolling Saturday afternoon.

BTW, all the fish been sore lipped already. :P:lol::rolleyes:

With the upcoming outting I decided to see how the Kank was yesterday afternoon..Fished outside of the park.Since it was low I figured it would also be at least fairly clear but instead it was as murky as the Fox having a sandy brown color & a lot of sandy looking material in suspension.Visibility was probably less than 2'. I abandonned the stretch I came to fish since it has an uneven bottom& it was too murky to wade comfortably by being able to see the abrupt depth changes. Had to settle for a more familiar easily wadeable stretch. Started out with a shad imitation but soon switched to a tequeeley trying to entice a carp I saw. No dice. Caught 3 little smb & 2 decent size catfish the biggest measuring 20". The cats fought well on my 6wt the 20 even making the reel sing a cupl X.

The bad news is that the river's murky. The good news is that the murkiness may find the fish shallow & not spooky.Take your pick.

Fished with Matt B for about 3.5 hrs on his 1st flyfishing outting for smb(his 1st flyfishing period?)He came with an 8.5 4wt Winston,a sweet rod for panfish/trout but very undergunned for smb & the kind of flies used for them. Luckily the wind was light.Being his 1st outting etc he didn't expect to catch anything which only added to his enjoyment at catching a nice 15" on a small clouser that turned out to be the biggest flycaught smb of the day. He hit 2 more catching a dink and losing another nice one that got off after fighting it for awhile.Before it did we had doubles going.As we were about to finish up we exchanged outfits so he could check out my 6wt, a much better choice for smb.On my very 1st cast with his a bass broke the delicate 4x tippet on the strike preventing gauging his size. Needless to say I wish I'd made 1 more cast with my outfit as I would likely have landed it with a 1x tippet.That was the last of 6 bass I hit at that point the others being only about 13". One of those little guys was memorable nonetheless jumping at least 1' clear of the water 5x in rapid succession.He must've thought his mama was a tarpon.Got all mine on a tequeeley fly.

After we split up I planned on going home but after eating at The Launching Pad in Wilmington(tasty philly cheesesteaks) I decided to fish a stretch on the way. After stopping for a fortifying cup of coffee I put in 3 more hrs to hit 4 more bass,2 dinks halfheartedly hitting a bassbug & getting off & 2 13's caught on the tequeeley.As at the 1st place fished the faster flows rather than the pools.What helped fishing all that time in the heat was goiing wet & wearing a wide brimmed hat which keeps you cool & refreshed no matter the heat

The Kank is a beautiful and enjoyable river to fish with its variety of water etc. but 13 fish with only 1 decent caught did nothing to dispell my belief that of the 3 major rivers in our area it has the smallest average size bass(those 2 20+ I hit last year nothwistanding) which is odd since it seems to have the most forage. I think it's Norm's fault.

we hit our area some nice water for the kank landed one 13in norm and I belive jim SORRY long day left me and the bait was on well for a hour or so or the water was better took 2 on the point and 10 on the back side of the iland and one 17in deep area off point I was told by norm to hit did find some deep water my pits got wet lurned to moon walk fast

thanks for some new water to explor look foward to geting out their again

Rod Samardzija and I fished an area with some deeper water next to some riffles that I thought would be good. It wasn't that good. I got 2, 10 to 12 inches smallies, one on a senko and one on a spinner and one catfish also on a spinner. Rod was having a tough time until he switched to a jig and twister. He got rid of the skunk with one smallie and one nice cat that came unhooked before we could land it. I couldn't stay long so we only worked the one area before I had to go. I'm not sure if Rod fished anymore after I left.

Well, Steve, Ted and I did our best Don Rego imitation and all landed at least one clam. No turtles though so the Caliph of Clams and the Titan of Turtles[may his shadow never lessen] aka Don R retains his titles.

Eveyone got at least one but Ted and I had to leave early. I left Steve with some suggestions but forgot I'm a tad taller. Good to here he got some. Looking forward to that e-bomb Steve.

This was my first outing and I had a great time. I fished with Scott F. Fishing wasn't the greatest. I believe Scot had a couple of smallies and a catfish, while I managed to catch one dink smallie using a twister tail.

I learned a few things and am looking forward to another outing.

Thanks again Scott