Basics?

Mike G

As I explore my new local lake, I have decided to stick with lures that I already own instead of wandering off to buy the latest magic lure. The old saying is,"Fix it up, use it up, make it do, or do without." So I started using up lures I bought a while back.So far in July, the Y baits, Yum. Yamamoto, etc have not performed like this one that looks like a Creme Worm from 1955.

plow_jockey.jpg

On a slow steady retrieve, it has been getting me Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass 14-16" long in decent numbers. I guesss the question is why do I get all wrapped up in the latest greatest when this classic works so well?

another old saying, " any color worm will due as long as its blue" rich

I have to put in a vote for the Zoom finesse worm in pumpkinseed. I fished this regularly for a couple years and then, for some reason, was "lured" away to other plastics, particularly the Yamamoto 3 3/4 inch crawdad. I went back to it yesterday and today with good results. Yesterday caught a monster lmb on Lily Lake in heavy weeds, today a smallmouth on the murky Fox in South Elgin, and a 17" lmb on an algae soup pond in Hoffman Estates. Zoom on, brothers.

Ron

Today (7/26), the beat goes on. Early in my session, I hooked a 14" LMB. He was pursued into the shallows by another bass wanting to get what he had in his mouth. I have seen Al Lindner hold a bass in the water while his buddy tried for the follower. I wanted to do that except I was alone. So I hoisted the bass in, quickly got it off the hook, and made a short cast where the follower was last seen. Bang! I had another one-a 15" SMB-which also had a follower. Once again I quickly landed and released that bass. Sorry to say, I did not get the follower on the next few casts. But it was a treat to do that "solo double." It was the same old rigged worm.

Isn't that called a pre-rigged worm, Mike?

As for finesse worms, I recall doing very well on them in the dead heat of summer in clear water.

Also got drawn to other baits- probably from reading all the reports here in any given season.

Now I'm wondering if the bass behavior is specific to clear water...or they do it more than we know because we can't see them as well in murky conditions.

An interesting observation was at Mazonia some years back.

Gin clear- all the juveniles would swarm and peck at whatever plastics I was throwing.

The adults would sit back and enjoy the show, never moving an inch to even consider hitting the artificials.

Stick a crawler or minnow on a hook....the big girls suddenly got interested.

Great thread, BTW.

Lunkers love nightcrawlers.. forgot the author's name but the title says it all. I have also read that nightcrawlers smell like crayfish which at this time of year is a major forage for smallies. When things SLOW down I am not too proud to pull out the octopus hooks and crawlers and catch bass when nobody else seem to be doing much.

BTW the reel I was using was an Alcedo MIcron that I bought fron Klein's Sporting Goods 50 years ago. By some miracle, I still have the receipt.

The basics are these:

1.When the fish are active, most lures will work.

2.TOW(time on the water) covers a mutitude of faults.

The rest is fairly subjective.

Lunkers love nightcrawlers.. forgot the author's name but the title says it all. I have also read that nightcrawlers smell like crayfish which at this time of year is a major forage for smallies. When things SLOW down I am not too proud to pull out the octopus hooks and crawlers and catch bass when nobody else seem to be doing much.

Carl Malz is the editor. He also was editor of Fishing Facts A.B. (after Binkelman). I wish I had a nickel for every Night Crawler I "conditioned." No doubt crawlers work, but I lean toward soft plastics and other artificials these days. It seems more sportsmanlike, and it avoids the hassel of live bait.

my first really decent sized bass was on a blue/purple Nick Creme pre-rigged worm when I was a kid. It was at the National Bureau of Standards in Gaithersburg MD. We used to sneak under the fence, probably get shot these days trying that.