Illinois Wading Regs.

Terry Dodge

From what I've been told Winnebago County, where the Kishwaukee runs through, had some kind of "county" law passed

that states the Kishwaukee River in "Winnebago County" is navigable. This is what I've been told. If it's a fact,well I

couldn't say for sure. But if it is true....................Well "the creek" that I started this whole discussion off with is a major

tributary of the Kishwaukee River. Makes me wonder if this "tributary creek" would be included in this so called county law,

if it exists. With that being said I would like to thank everyone for all the great info. A lot of you did a lot of work and research and I greatly appiciate it. After all that has been said I can tell you this - It's still up to me (the fisherman).

If I want to pursue this then I'm going to have to do all the foot-work. We have our state laws, city laws, county laws,

dumb laws, good laws and what ever else kind of law you can think of and it's just too much to go through. Maybe I'll just

go up to their door and knock and ask permission.

This has been a very interesting discussion. Again Thanks to all.

( just so you all know, I haven't just been reading your post. I have contacted some people on this matter )

Even if I find that I can legally fish this area it may be sometime before I do if I do at all.

I don't want trouble with these people.

I was just wondering what the wading laws were in Illinois.

Not to stir the pot up as it seems to have settled but perhaps someone knows exactly where the below is from and what it references.

I found this a couple years ago on another site. I believe someone was trying to use it as an arguement to wade creeks.

"(615 ILCS 5/18) (from Ch. 19, par. 65)

Wherever the terms public waters or public bodies of water are used or referred to in this Act, they mean all open public streams and lakes capable of being navigated by water craft, in whole or in part, for commercial uses and purposes, and all lakes, rivers, and streams which in their natural condition were capable of being improved and made navigable, or that are connected with or discharged their waters into navigable lakes or rivers within, or upon the borders of the State of Illinois, together with all bayous, sloughs, backwaters, and submerged lands that are open to the main channel or body of water and directly accessible thereto."

Now see it's post like that last one that hurts my head.

All those words. What do they mean?!

I'm going fishin'!

By the way, I was contacted by one of the people I had checking some stuff on this matter and found that "yes" the people

by the creek do own all the land in that area.

May peace be with them.

Later.

State law doesn't jibe with federal but who has the bucks and time to argue that in court? Park at bridges and go fishing!! If confronted be polite and just remove yourself from the situation and find somewhere else to go. If anyone threatens you physically call the cops. Take some trash bags with you and pick up a bag or two of garbage before you head out. Set them beside your car, that should buy you some goodwill. I've had a couple of property owners who forbide me from fishing on their property, but they only own to the center of the creek ;);) nudge nudge. They wanted to be on record that I was trespassing but they wouldn't give me any grief as long as I was respectful.

Iv found that if im unsure of whether its private or not, i knock on the door of the nearest house an ask permission. Theres a really good spot I know on a local stream that I used to have to park on the road an walk at least a mile upstream to get to. One day there was an old farmer working on his field right by my spot. He had gotten out of his tractor an I asked him if it was alright that i fished there. He said sure an asked me where i had parked. I told him an he gave me permission to park on his private land so my walk is now only 100 feet or so. Iv given him a few bottles of Canadian Club whiskey over the years for allowing me access. I have been confronted by several land owners an none have told me to leave, theyre just shocked theres actually someone interested in fishing this stream that they didnt even know had fish in. I live out here in the country and everyones really nice so maybe its just different where i live.