ISA catch and release signs.

I went fishing yesterday and i was shocked to see that 5 of the yellow ISA signs were broken off there pole. The first one was at riverbrook canoe landing in Naperville off washington rd, then the other 4 were all along river rd in plainfield/shorewood/ I just wanted to let some of you know this way they can get replaced with new ones. I also cleaned up the area in Naperville there was a few tires and cans and alot of beer bottles that i picked up."did not mean to double post

New sturdier signs were just made and we will soon be putting together an outing for getting the broken and missing signs replaced. Thanks for the update on locations needing replacements.

I wonder what the cost would be to make them out of a nice tin style, this way the people or floods would not destroy them as easy. Its odd its always the yellow ones the white ones are all intact.

Many people use aluminum or tin, but there is another problem.

When the price of scrap syrockets, the signs aren't demolished- they are carefully taken from their mountings.

Note the conservation sign still intact.

At least some people still care about reporting poachers and pollution.

That sucks i didnt think about the scraping part of the metal signs. Maybe if the signs would have the same style bolts that the street corner signs have in them, but im sure that wont stop a person that wants to scrap metal. I just wanted to ask since im just a person that always wants to help out in one way or another. Its odd that its just the ISA signs that are getting broken seems like its someone that was jaded by the ISA or one of the members.

Dave

One guy I caught destroying a sign said he did it because it was telling the world that there were smallies in the river, another said the signs were at his favorite spots. I found out thru the grapevine that some signs were destroyed because poachers some how got the idea that they couldn't be prosecuted if there was no sign with the regs present. A couple others I found out from people who saw it done said it was by kids with nothing better to do.

Some I'm sure end up next to the stop sign in garages, both taken for dubious souvenoirs. Some have been used for target practice,

There are some locations I have flat give up on , a week at most is the life span of a sign. Zach and I put some signs up last fall with locking nuts, the idjits couldn't remove them so they busted them to pieces. Most of the time it's worth putting up a new sign, in a few cases you just have to cut your losses.

Thanls for asking to help.

Dave

One guy I caught destroying a sign said he did it because it was telling the world that there were smallies in the river, another said the signs were at his favorite spots. I found out thru the grapevine that some signs were destroyed because poachers some how got the idea that they couldn't be prosecuted if there was no sign with the regs present. A couple others I found out from people who saw it done said it was by kids with nothing better to do.

Some I'm sure end up next to the stop sign in garages, both taken for dubious souvenoirs. Some have been used for target practice,

There are some locations I have flat give up on , a week at most is the life span of a sign. Zach and I put some signs up last fall with locking nuts, the idjits couldn't remove them so they busted them to pieces. Most of the time it's worth putting up a new sign, in a few cases you just have to cut your losses.

Thanls for asking to help.

that just sucks i dont understand people now and then. Il make sure i still keep track of the ones that are gone near me if needed i dont mind since i fish about 3 hours aday before work if there is no lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

An ISA member caught a 19"+ smallie in Wilmington over the weekend, and had to practically fight a guy off to put it back in the river.

Then I realized that one sign (the very first post I ever installed with our conservation sign) washed away in a flood a few years back, and the one still remaining doesn't have the current Spring regs.

Our member had to argue with him, because a sign states the size limit as one over 18".

We need to get busy again on the Kankakee.

I really don't care for putting these in natural settings, and probably won't go to that.....but I'm more tired of poachers.

The beds are stripped, I witnessed and heard about 2 incidences over the weekend of people that have no idea about the catch and release season.

Educate, educate, then educate some more.

Mike,

Over the years I have personally put up 7 ISA signs and 2 of the IDNR signs with the walleye/smallie regs in Wilmington proper. All are gone but I think the one you put up by the broken dam may still be there.

It's a similar story for the Des Plaines Conservation area. Folks in that neck of the woods flat out don't like signs with any type of regs on them. Shoot they take sign posts and all.

Still we need a sign posting day for sure. I think a couple of the original signs from the first posting are still up in a couple places. We will prolly need posts and a post pounder, signs and hardware.

If nothing else get Zach and I the materials and we'll get them up as we do our own cleanups in the needed areas.

Mike,

Over the years I have personally put up 7 ISA signs and 2 of the IDNR signs with the walleye/smallie regs in Wilmington proper. All are gone but I think the one you put up by the broken dam may still be there.

It's a similar story for the Des Plaines Conservation area. Folks in that neck of the woods flat out don't like signs with any type of regs on them. Shoot they take sign posts and all.

Still we need a sign posting day for sure. I think a couple of the original signs from the first posting are still up in a couple places. We will prolly need posts and a post pounder, signs and hardware.

If nothing else get Zach and I the materials and we'll get them up as we do our own cleanups in the needed areas.

4x4 wooden posts, 3 feet in the ground, 5 lag bolts in ea. sign.

They have only pulled one of those out so far (off Deselm Rd.).

Guest airbornemike
4x4 wooden posts, 3 feet in the ground, 5 lag bolts in ea. sign.

They have only pulled one of those out so far (off Deselm Rd.).

I have access to the materials needed for this, lags 4x4 posts maybe even a little concrete. Hell I'm on the river three or four times a week, when I walk past damaged or missing signs I figure I'm here I wish I had a couple replacements to hang?

Guest rich mc

i think that can be a plan for next years closed season. the open season is just a week away so how many signs will be damaged this summer and fall. rich

i think that can be a plan for next years closed season. the open season is just a week away so how many signs will be damaged this summer and fall. rich

You gonna come over and pick up the two piles of signs collecting dust and taking up space in my very small basement, Rich? :P We need to get these distributed and put in place!

Got an email from a guy today asking about how to replace/repair signs on the Fox, and asking how to join the club.

I'm going to make some calls and see about putting some more "permanent" models in at public access areas on the Kankakee.

Will post a volunteer opportunity soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have replaced 3 so far this year. I keep 'em in my truck so that they're handy. I too think we simply need to continue to educate people. Let people know what we're trying to do. People want to catch fish...we all do. Educating kids is a great way to make a diifference.

Any way we can put something together for the surrounding school districts? Just a thought. Kids often fish with their Families and are quick to point out things that they know and rules to be aware of.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to takke a few home to eat...the problem is there isn't a sustainable fihery for it. That would be great if we did.

• 1 year later...

Hi Henry.

I read in another post that you are 14?

Great to see the next generation of anglers taking notice!

The placement of the signs is done more often than not to get the attention of anglers as they embark on a main trail or such while on the way to their fishing spots.

Please feel free to ask about general river fishing techniques and how we approach them, and we'll do our best to guide you.

For obvious reasons, we choose not to pinpoint exact "spots" on our message boards- but what you will learn is how to catch them under similar conditions on any IL river or stream.

Any chance of getting some of these along the lakefront downtown? Everytime I see someone poaching I tell them the reg's and threaten to call them in(I have a few times with no results btw). If there was as sign in the area I could point to and say "see I'm not just some crazy PETA guy tellin you that you can't eat fish it's just you can only eat certain species of a certain size blah blah". When I see someone with a smallie in a bucket I immediately acquire a not so nice persona, I can imagine the angry face doesn't do me any favors in trying to convey the message whereas just being able to raise an eyebrow and point to a sign would be more beneficial to all. Let me know I could definitely help maintain them.

a separate sign would have to be made for the lakefront. the closed season is for most rivers only. rich

Just to be clear, there is no closed season for smallmouth anywhere in Illinois. During a closed season, it is illegal to target a species. We have a catch and release season that allows you to fish for smallies just not keep any.

"Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass,

Spotted Bass

Daily creel limit is 6 bass, either singly or

in the aggregate except as specified

under Site Specific Regulations. In

streams and rivers (excluding the mainstem

of the Mississippi, Ohio, and

Wabash Rivers) the daily creel can contain

no more than 3 smallmouth bass. In

streams and tributaries statewide except

for the Mississippi, Ohio, Wabash, and

Illinois Rivers, all smallmouth bass must

be immediately released between April 1

and June 15. There is no statewide size

limit."

Lake Michigan (Illinois Portion), State of Illinois (Lake/Cook Counties)

Large or Smallmouth Bass. . . . . 21” Minimum Length Limit

Large or Smallmouth Bass (14) . 1 Fish Daily Creel Limit

Hi there, most or all the signs are posted at popular access points to educate people. If there are fish at the location....that's good...the fish are supposed to be there....that's the point! We want to preserve the spawning season so that the fish reproduce and propagate. It's unfortunate that signs are vandalized, however, hopefully as time goes on...eventually signs won't be needed...everyone will know what the regulations are. Once that happens at some point the enforcement of those laws will need to be in place. The yellow isa phone numbers are helpful in contacting the conservation police if you witness any kind of violations....simply collect information, license plate, description ect. and report it. Poaching is an unfortunate occurance....with the economy down, it may occur more this year....but it's not the biggest threat to our fishery....pollution and habitat loss are additional factors that significantly effect the health of Illinois waters. It's a difficult challenge but I believe things are changing for the better...there are many people working hard to make a difference.

Glad to see so many people are watching out and paying attention to the yellow signs. Jim B and I are trying to get a date together for putting up new signs and replacing missing/damaged signs.

If you are aware of a location that needs a sign replaced or a location that just doesn't have a sign please PM the location to Jim B or myself. Again, we are not looking for your honey hole, just a forest preserve, park or access point that has fishing traffic that you believe needs a sign.

I will get the date up in a separate post shortly.