Kankakee River Stream Sampling

ISA Stream Sampling Event

Our very first ISA Stream Team sampling event will take place in the Kankakee River State Park on Sunday, June 7. We will be hosting local youth groups, citizens and members interested in learning more about the incredible biodiversity of this watershed.

The sampling process will include kick seining in Rock Creek, testing for water quality indicators and identification of insects collected.

Our Conservation Station tent will be set up on location for this event.

From 9-10 a.m. we will be accepting registrations and doing some light trash removal on the shoreline. The State Park interpretive center has agreed to take the kids on a Nature Hike as part of the festivities.

When the sampling work is concluded, we'll be grilling hot dogs and burgers for all involved.

We can use some help to set up and supervise on this project.

For more information and updates, please check our website Calendar and Conservation Opportunities forum for more details.

We will need member volunteers for this event, so don't be shy to raise your hand!

Various scout and community youth groups are already committed to participating, so I'd like to see plenty of adult supervision.

Of course, this is also a great opportunity for our members to learn about this watershed's biodiversity as well, so whether you are helping or just attending, it will prove to be time well spent.

This date happens to fall on the Full Moon, so the fishing should be pretty good as well!

Contact Norm Minas or myself for further information.

PM or email.

isaconservation@comcast.net

Tom Knable is going to be taping this event for a cable outlet and I'm going to send out invites to the press.

My son Zachary who is an ISA member and my daughter Molly who is not both plan on helping me with the intial setup but we never would turn down any help. We are shooting for 8 AM to start setting up. I'm bringing some folding tables, chairs and a grill. Some more chairs and another grill would help.

I will be getting garbage bags and hopefully some gloves and safety vests from the NIAA as this is one of our two cleanups for our Adopt A River commitment. The other will be in the fall.

Let's get a great turnout for this.

Tom Knable is going to be taping this event for a cable outlet and I'm going to send out invites to the press.

My son Zachary who is an ISA member and my daughter Molly who is not both plan on helping me with the intial setup but we never would turn down any help. We are shooting for 8 AM to start setting up. I'm bringing some folding tables, chairs and a grill. Some more chairs and another grill would help.

I will be getting garbage bags and hopefully some gloves and safety vests from the NIAA as this is one of our two cleanups for our Adopt A River commitment. The other will be in the fall.

Let's get a great turnout for this.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this so far, Norm.

I'm really excited about the taping, and many thanks go out to Tom Knable as well for offering this tremendous opportunity for not only the conservation program, but for the sake of the river.

She needs all the help she can get, and this is a great start.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to our members, scout groups and youth groups mentioned, we also have a committment from the Fenwick High School Bass Fishing Team to attend this event.

Members willing to help supervise are encouraged to contact me.

More activities for this event are in the making.

Really cool stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing we need is for someone to bring a charcol grill for the cookout. I'm bringing mine, another would make things much easier.

Unfortunately, I can't make this Satruday's event but I plan on making it June 7th. If anyone needs help with sampling in the future, shoot me a message.

• 3 weeks later...
Have Grill will bring!

Mark O'Donnell

Wife works at daughters school, will bring enough mustard and kethup packets for all.

Thanks Mark!

Was hoping someone came forward with another grill.

Looking forward to this event, it's going to be a whole lot of fun.

Members can also treat it as a fishing opportunity!

2-3 hours before the event starts, and all afternoon afterwards....

:D