Stream Sampling Training Workshops

The ISA will be conducting several stream sampling events on various watersheds in 2009, so the first step in getting acquainted in the techniques is to receive professional training.

The Illinois RiverWatch program has expanded their training opportunities this year, and we're fortunate to have workshops available relatively close to the majority of our members.

Those that feel they'd like to participate in our stream sampling projects are encouraged to participate in one of the training workshops provided.

We're going to be calling on stream team leaders from time to time, so the more knowledge we have among the group, the better.

Information for Training Workshops (new volunteers):

Training workshops are from 9AM to 4PM and includes both classroom and field sessions. During the classroom session, we will discuss the procedures in the training manual and teach you to identify stream water quality indicators (e.g., snails, dragonfly nymphs, beetle larva, etc.). Afterwards, we will walk or drive to a nearby stream where the trainer will demonstrate proper monitoring and data collection techniques. Equipment will be provided so everyone can partake in the training. Please remember to wear clothing appropriate for the weather as well as for wading in water. I recommend bringing knee-high boots or waders, sun block, insect repellent, and water to drink. You will be responsible for your own lunch. I also encourage you to bring along a friend who can monitor with you and to start thinking about a stream site you would like to adopt. Registration is $20 and can be paid in advance or at the workshop. Make check payable to Lewis and Clark Community College and send payment to Attn: Vera Bojic, Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey, IL 62035. No cash or credit cards.

Training Workshop Dates and Locations:

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (Josh B @ Feb 26 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm signed up for March 28th in Naperville.

Hey josh where is the meeting at in Naperville. i would like to sign up and also help out in anyway i can.

Hey josh where is the meeting at in Naperville. i would like to sign up and also help out in anyway i can.

It should be listed in the PDF file in my first post.

Sat, March 28 DuPage Naperville The Conservation Foundation 10 South 404 Knoch Knolls Road Meet in Clow House (630) 428-4500

I'm looking at May 16 on the Kankakee River.

It should be listed in the PDF file in my first post.

Sat, March 28 DuPage Naperville The Conservation Foundation 10 South 404 Knoch Knolls Road Meet in Clow House (630) 428-4500

I'm looking at May 16 on the Kankakee River.

Hmmmmm.... right down the street, sorta, from me! B)

Lots of possibilities here, guys (and gals).

Any workshop that is in your watershed or nearby will provide profound experience to not only yourself, but the ISA conservation agenda in the coming year.

We've already got a number of watersheds earmarked for stream sampling in 2009, and your experience will serve to benefit these events as well if you are able to join the group for a morning on your favorite stream.

Mike ,

I had an outing with the Illinois Master Naturalist program scheduled for the 16. I'm going to the Stream Monitoring as the IMNP outing was a nature hike with Stacey at the K3SP that I've done 3 times with the kids at school functions.

3 members for the Naperville event (so far).

VERY encouraging.

Please pay close attention and take lots of photos.

I'll be announcing our official ISA stream monitoring dates and locations in the near future.

That education is going to serve the resources well!

Dear friends,

This is a friendly reminder to register for a RiverWatch workshop if you have not done so already. The workshop schedule is attached below. A complete calendar of RiverWatch events is also available online at http://www.ngrrec.org/googlecalendar.htm. If you are a certified citizen scientist, please consider registering for a refresher workshop. If you are a newcomer, please sign up for a training workshop. Registration is required prior to attending a workshop (no walk-ins please). To register, contact me at 618-468-4870 or send an email to vbojic@lc.edu (include your name, workshop date and workshop location).

Information for Refresher Workshops (citizen scientists):

Refresher workshops are scheduled from 10AM to 2PM. These workshops are intended for volunteers who have already received formal training through RiverWatch. Each workshop is divided into a laboratory and field session. During the lab session, we will cover some items from the training manual and examine taxa under a microscope that are more challenging to identify in the field. Please look over your data sheets and notes from last year and come prepared with questions. Afterwards, we will walk or drive to a nearby stream where the trainer will review and demonstrate proper monitoring techniques. Equipment will be provided so everyone can partake in the training. Please remember to wear clothing appropriate for the weather as well as for wading in water. I recommend bringing knee-high boots or waders, sun block, insect repellent, water to drink, and a snack or sack lunch. Refresher workshops are free.

Information for Training Workshops (new volunteers):

Training workshops are from 9AM to 4PM and includes both classroom and field sessions. During the classroom session, we will discuss the procedures in the training manual and teach you to identify stream water quality indicators (e.g., snails, dragonfly nymphs, beetle larva, etc.). Afterwards, we will walk or drive to a nearby stream where the trainer will demonstrate proper monitoring and data collection techniques. Equipment will be provided so everyone can partake in the training. Please remember to wear clothing appropriate for the weather as well as for wading in water. I recommend bringing knee-high boots or waders, sun block, insect repellent, and water to drink. You will be responsible for your own lunch. I also encourage you to bring along a friend who can monitor with you and to start thinking about a stream site you would like to adopt. Registration is $20 and can be paid in advance or at the workshop. Make check payable to Lewis and Clark Community College and send payment to Attn: Vera Bojic, Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey, IL 62035. No cash or credit cards.

I look forward to seeing all of you soon! Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Vera Bojic

Program Coordinator

National Great Rivers Research & Education Center

Lewis and Clark Community College

5800 Godfrey Road * Godfrey, IL 62035

Ph: (618) 468-4870 Fax: (618) 468-7221

vbojic@lc.edu www.ngrrec.org/river_watch.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey ISA er's,

Those that have already attended the river sampling classes. How was it? How about a little overview of what went on!

Mark O'Donnell

In a nutshell the purpose is to find out how many and what kinds of micro invertebrate life a river is currently capable of supporting.The method is to scour a 200' stretch of the river once each year prefferably in May or June when most such life is at its peak.This is done by stirring up the streambed across the river at 50' intervals i.e.4x in the 200' stretch and collecting in a net the dislodged insects in their pupal/larval stage and also stirring up any woody or leafy debris in that stretch where such insects also can be located.The insects are placed in a preservative liquid in order to later be viewed under a microscope for identification.Some of the insects hoping to be found in a healthy river are caddis,mayflies,hellgramites, streamborn beatles and worms etc.The work is done in 2 man teams,1 doing the stirring up while the other works the net. Josh B and I will be doing 2 such stretches on the Dupage.Best to do it in mid -late May on that river before all the ribbon weed makes things difficult.

Ronk summed it up pretty well. The class is essentially two parts. In part one you learn how to identify the invertibrates using a microscope. This is hands on, you have a microscope and examples of all the invertibrates in front of you. The second part of the class is learning the methods for collecting invertibrates from different types of river habitat. They also go over all the procedures necessary to make sure you're stream sampling is valid. The forms are pretty simple, and they reviewed the entire procedure in detail. I learned a lot about aquatic life in just few hours. It will be interesting to do some samplings when things warm up.

Josh

Thanks for all the great information, guys.

This is where all of this training is going to benefit our watersheds, for a start:

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/foru...?showtopic=5180

An event I'm very hopeful will be the first of many to help educate our membership base even further.

Everything is falling into place very nicely, and I for one am excited to get started!

If you were not able to attend one of the workshops (there ARE still dates available, however), the ISA will be providing sampling opportunities for our members throughout the year on various rivers and streams.

The link listed above is just our first.

Thanks for all the great information, guys.

This is where all of this training is going to benefit our watersheds, for a start:

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/foru...?showtopic=5180

An event I'm very hopeful will be the first of many to help educate our membership base even further.

Everything is falling into place very nicely, and I for one am excited to get started!

If you were not able to attend one of the workshops (there ARE still dates available, however), the ISA will be providing sampling opportunities for our members throughout the year on various rivers and streams.

The link listed above is just our first.

Hey Mike i was looking at the site and i could not find any real info on the April 25th class in Joliet at Pilcher Park Nature Center are they still having the class on that date that you might know of. I know im suposed to leave to go fishing up northern WI by Duluth the same day but i can leave after the class since my chevelle that i have to tow back up north is near Pilcher park. Do you know if there are any other of the ISA members that might atend this workshop?