Joining the dark side.....

bbonney1835@sbcglobal.net

a 5/6 wt rod should cover most fish on the rivers. I however have been severley biten by the fly bug and have about 5 or 6 set ups from 3wt to 9wt. I do more fly fishing than anything. 3wt for panfish, 5/6wt for bass and 7/8wt for carp. many of the big stores offer combos at a reasonable price, under $100. as you get more involed you will likely want to up grade.

Joe

It's been my experience that the biggest bass are eating the smaller fish[bass included] that are eating the bugs off the surface. Rattlebaits, singlespins, jerkbaits, subwalks or crankbaits have all produced in that sittuation. I believe that spinning gear with any of the afore mentioned lures is more effective than flies.

Dark side my aching ***

other ways more catch more fish, but they are not as rewarding as fly fishing to me. and its better if you catch fish on a fly you made, thats cool!! I'm all for catching fish any way you can, but fly fishing is the most fun to me anyway

Joe

a 5/6 wt rod should cover most fish on the rivers. I however have been severley biten by the fly bug and have about 5 or 6 set ups from 3wt to 9wt. I do more fly fishing than anything. 3wt for panfish, 5/6wt for bass and 7/8wt for carp. many of the big stores offer combos at a reasonable price, under $100. as you get more involed you will likely want to up grade.

Joe

Perfect answer. There is no one right fly rod any more than there is one spinning rod that fits all. The 6 wt is a good compromise. As for where to get it, it would be great if you could borrow before you invest $. Best of all would be a friend who says,"You can have this one; I'll never use it."

Good luck!

if thats the case your screwed :lol: after fly fishing you need to get into centerpinning, then your pockets will be completely empty( like mine) thats a pretty pennt to get into, but I love it and its worth every dime to me!!

Joe

The Albright fly fishing gear is so cheap, you just can't pass it up. Their GP series of rods, and Bugati reels, are a great way to start without breaking the bank. For $75 shipped, you can have a rod & reel. Some Rio Streamline (available elsewhere) for $30, and you are on the water!! Most other setups will cost you that much for just the rod...and, THAT'S cheap!!

Thanks, again Jonn, for the heads up on that site. I bought 3 combos!! One for my nephew, one for my brother, and one for ME! I'll have to say, I test cast the GP 6/7 I got for my nephew, and was VERY impressed. For the money spent, I was stunned.

Thanks for the info guys. Being obsessive compulsive is scary in moments like this....

Bill

Nothing to be scared about. I would recommend an Albright GP 6/7, 9ft-2 pc rod . You can expand from there, but it will give you a good start. Best rod you'll find for $37!! Heck, best you'll find for $200!

I spent many a morning last year watching fish gorge themselves on the cadis fly hatch on the Fox.

What kind of set up should an inexperienced FlyFisherman obtain in order to get started?

Weight, length, flies,line... I know very little.

Thanks guys! Bill

For smb,carp a 7wt 9' would be a good choice for a beginner..A rod with a softer moderate fast action is easier and more pleasant to cast particularly for a beginner than a stiffer fast action rod. Cabelas' Three F orks series look to be a very good value at only $49.Bass Pro sells a very nice IM8 Wind River rod for about $170 if you can go higher.Team the rod with a good quality weight forward flyline and a 7.5'-9' 2x leader.I've always preferred a line one size heavier than the rod is rated for.The heavier line will cause the rod to bend deeper in the blank where most of the power is, will penetrate the wind better,and will result in more "feel" during the cast.Re casting, go online to see what's available in the way of instructional pamphlets or videos.Also check out your local library.

Also pay no mind to Joz' humbugging.

I started fly fishing back in August. Told the wife I was just going to dabble in it. She told me I was full of you know what. She was right. I now have four fly rods and tons of flies, many of them I have tied myself. In my limited amount of time, here is what has worked for me:

I have three of the Redington Crosswater combos - a 5, 6, and 8weight. They are $100 for the whole combo with Rio Mainstream line and leader included with the combo. I think these are great combos for the price. They won an award through Field and Stream a year or so ago.

I also have one of the Albright GP rods (a 6/7 weight) and absolutely love it. It is a faster action rod than the Redingtons. I paired it with Albright's Bugati reel and added Rio Clouser fly line. If you can afford to shell out a little more money for line, the Rio Clouser line is awesome. The Rio Mainstream is nice though, especially for the price.

cant stress enough to get the best line you can afford, it does make a difference!! I think my next line will be a rio product. I've heard alot of good things about it. at this time I dont need anymore line because I take very good care of mine and it is lasting for a long time.

Joe