Cast & Compare this Saturday!

John Loebach

Just a reminder to come out for the Bassbugger Cast & Compare this Saturday at Hidden lake forest preserve, Rte. 53 just south of Butterfeild Rd. 9AM start. Third year for this event where the goal is to try different rods, weights, lines and share your ideas after casting. Bring one or more of your rods you use for smallies and sample each others equipment. I will bring 3,4,5,6,7,8, & 9 weights some fast graphite, some fiberglass. As well I will have some sinktip & full sink lines. Add to that a few new rods on loan from vendors to see whats arriving this season. Stay untill noon & we will grill some lunch- fish after if you want. Hope to see a good turnout.

Thanks to all 12 who attended all had a good time casting at least 24 different rods. Member Jim Velgueth(FFF cert. instructor) worked one on one with tips on improving casting form & several showed visible improvement from the help. An informal poll rated the most votes for favorite - Sage Bass/ bluegill a 6/7 wt., Elkhorn 4/5 wt., Scott S3 a 4wt. We wound up with some rather charred hot dogs & were gone by 1:30.

ALL the thanks must go to John. Yet again, John successfully schedules, assembles, and hosts another outstanding Bassbuggers outing. Oh yeah, he cooked lunch for everyone too.

While I'm not in the market for another flyrod, I think my favorite of the day was the Lamiglass 9 weight. I've never casted a flyrod from this manufacturer, so I really had no expectations one way or the other. This rod was smooth, lighter in weight than I would have thought, and allowed me to shoot a respectable amount of line on the second cast. There was no "getting used to" the rod or learning how it reacts; perhaps this is the meaning of finding the flyrod which best fits your casting stroke.

Thanks for the kudos all. Rich , they are 7' 11" so they are legal in tournaments & are not line weight rated but come with the Sage taper designed for that rod. All three models load close with power but can cast distance as well. The bluegill rod we had there is between a 6 & 7 wt. & would make a good stream smallie rod. Mike next one will be next year but we may have a casting day or two this winter if I can find a venue.

Great job John, and thanks a bunch for organizing the event (and for cooking lunch)!!!

It was an enjoyable time, and very informative. I got to cast a bunch of rods that I've never cast before, and probably wouldn't have tried, except at an event like this. Thanks to everyone that brought rods, and helped out with this event.

Thanks, John. This is the first Cast-and-Compare event for me, so I didn't realize there would be so many rods to try. Next time I'll make a better effort to get there on time to be able to try more rods. Lunch hit the spot as well.

Did the guy from Sage have anything to say worth sharing?

Thanks again, Ron

John

Sorry I missed this event! It was my oldest daughter's 21st on Saturday so I had a pretty busy day (and night ;) ) I would've liked to have tested the Sage bass rods. I'm not sure they would be a good fit for me, but I have read about them and remain intrigued. It would've been good to see you as well.

Anyone looking for an economical rod should consider the Elkhorn series. The moderate fast action one at the c+c cast very nicely and is a heckuva value. Stay away from the Sage Flight rod unless you play 9 ball.It's a lifeless pool stick.

John,

Thanks for the event and for bringing me the sweatshirt I left there.