Graham to go on River Smallmouth Disabled List

Jonn Graham

Well, I guess I just have fished too much the last twenty or so years. On Friday I am getting carpal tunnel surgery. My right hand has been bothering me for over a year now. Very uncomfortable as my hand goes to sleep while fishing. Fly fishing is twice as bad on my hand as regular spin/cast fishing. Very Annoying!

A neurologist checked me out by shocking my nerves (very unpleasant by the way) and confirmed that I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist. The surgeon will fix the problem on Friday. Surgeon says no casting for two to three weeks. Abiding by this is going to be tough. I am sure that I will probably start trying to cast in a week or so.

Wish me luck. I will not be a happy human for awhile, so disregard any nasty or grumpy things I say online.

Good luck Jonn for sure….but…you didn’t mention anything being wrong with your left hand. Maybe this is the opportunity / challenge for you to learn to become ambidextrous? Enter into the world of a southpaw? Did the doc say anything about “reeling” with the right hand? Just a thought…maybe to keep you from getting too bummed out.

My right hand has been bothering me for over a year now. Very uncomfortable as my hand goes to sleep while fishing.

I wish you a speedy recovery Jonn. I get sharp pains in the back of my casting hand after a long days' fishing. Did you experience any of that or was it mainly numbness?

Jonn,

A few years ago I took a little over a month off when my wife was having health issues. Take my advice and make your first trip back a solo. Knocking off the rust is not something anyone else should see.

Hope you heal quickily.

Jonn,

Very sorry about your wrist especially as it came right on the heels of your discovering the joys of flyfishing.You may be still able to flyfish after your recovery by bearing in mind that a proper cast is made with very little wrist movement.The pivot is at the elbow not the wrist much like pounding a nail in a wall or throwing a dart.A wrist brace might help and shouldn't interfere too much with casting.Get well soon.

Ron:

You are right about the use of the elbow and not the wrist. Problem is, according to the Dr., is the act of gripping anything like a fly rod. He does not want me to grip anything for at least two weeks. I really think fly fishing is out for that time period............unless I can try to fly fish left handed. Upon further thought....................that would probably be a disaster. I am going to have to just grin and bear it.

One of the things I taught myself and my students what I was a Firearms instructor was to shoot with the left hand. I shot against the State Police instructor during one of our session at the State Police Range in Joliet and beat him using my left hand. I was pretty proud of that. You can teach yourself to use the other hand if you really need to.