smallmouth lures

Jeff Nevenner

First of all, skip the tackle box and go with a chest pack, something you can sling over your shoulder. Unless you want to go with a vest and fill the pockets with little Plano boxes stuffed with goodies? Save room for the digital camera, too! ;)

The Goodies:

1/4oz & 3/8oz swim jigs.... Brovarney or Jonn's Scout as they both catch fish.

5" single tailed grubs to match the swim jigs.

Brown/gold & blue/orange rattle traps.... 1/4oz

1/4oz Pro-slider head jigs, and or 1/4oz Lucky Strike football head jigs.

2 1/2" Yum Crawbugs.... green pumpkin or whatever colors they have available.

Hula grubs.... pick a color, any color.

3" Senkos.... or Yum Dingers which work just as well for a lot less.

Mann's Baby 1-.... some sort of shad color.

That's a start. Mix and match with everyone else's choices. All are proven smallie catchers.

Smoke or watermelon skirted twin-tail grub (like Chompers) on a weedless hook.

Color depends on available/most abundant forage at the time and water clarity....or not.

I prefer Chompers for the scent, as fish don't like the chemicals in my skin, or something like that.

I'll throw this everywhere after beating the shorelines to a froth with the Rebel Wee Craw all morning until the carpal tunnel gets unbearable.

For the evening bite, I'll notice my last Rebel Craw has landed in a tree on the other side of the river, too far to retrieve, and switch to the black and silver Rapala J-7.

When a hunk of rebar takes that away, it's back to the Chompers.

I had a great day once with a giant rodent crankbait, but I won't get into that.

Hope this helps.

Eric seems to get by on two lures. If you are spinning or casting, I will let him fill you in.

If you are into flies, it is about the same. Top water, mid depths, and bottom are where you want to fish. There are thousands of lures and flies in each category. All you need is a few of each.

PS There are no magic lures.

Thanks for all of the information. Yes Jim I was planning on using a soft tackle bag with a couple of boxes to throw in and then sling it over my shoulder. Mike I use a spinning reel medium action. However, I have hip waders that I use when I go to MO. will they do here or should I use chest waders. You guys are great. I should have joined a long time ago. Thanks again for the information.

I'm looking to set up a tackle box strictly for smallmouths and I was looking for any suggestions on lures to add. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to do mostly river fishing (wading).

What is your skill level? Do you bass fish currently? Have you ever jig fished before? How heavy of a rod are you using? Where are you planning to fish-what stream(s).

Keep it simple---

Arm yourself with some Yamamoto 3.5" Kut-Tails worms, (color 297, Green Pumplin/black flake),

some Gamakatsu #4 EWG offset worm hooks, and 1/16 oz bullshot weights.

The Kut-Tails worms will catch you lots of fish.

After you get bored catching fish, then you can experiment with all that other stuff.

Mark I usually fish for largemouth in lakes and ponds around central Illinois. I do pretty good and I use a lot of soft baits, jigs and spinner baits. I guess you would classify me as fair. Now I want to get into smallmouth fishing in some of the local creeks and rivers in central to northeastern Illinois. Mostly the Mackinaw River and Kickapoo creek since it is close by where I live. But I also want to try the Kankakee and the Fox Rivers. I have never fished for smallmouth before. I use a medium action shimano spinning rod and reel. I hope that I answered everything.

Mark I usually fish for largemouth in lakes and ponds around central Illinois. I do pretty good and I use a lot of soft baits, jigs and spinner baits. I guess you would classify me as fair. Now I want to get into smallmouth fishing in some of the local creeks and rivers in central to northeastern Illinois. Mostly the Mackinaw River and Kickapoo creek since it is close by where I live. But I also want to try the Kankakee and the Fox Rivers. I have never fished for smallmouth before. I use a medium action shimano spinning rod and reel. I hope that I answered everything.

Sounds great, throw the same baits you use for LMB. Keep them large. Finesse and topwater mostly- then a middle water column bait.

Read about reading moving water and how it affects fish.

Sounds great, throw the same baits you use for LMB. Keep them large. Finesse and topwater mostly- then a middle water column bait.

Read about reading moving water and how it affects fish.

Good advice.

In the kank:

most lures 2-4" will catch fish.

Keel weighted jigs, like keeper hooks and Slider type won't get hung up a lot. Most other jigs will. Big time.

Flukes are great. I use a 3/0 EWG.

Spinnerbaits in low visibility, white on white.

Topwaters. Almost any.

Buzz baits. Don't leave home without them.

Jeff,

]

Welcome to Illinois Smallies, the best bare-knuckles fighting around! Did anyone also tell you we have trophy whitetails also? That's a conversation for another day.

In the Kankakee (typically posted as KKK), forget the hip waders in most spots also. One item I would pack just to make it interesting would be a River Quiver and I believe they have a web site like www.riverquiver.com, and/or a third grip rod holder for an extra rod.

One of these gadgets keeps me from jamming a spinning combo down the back of my wading vest & waders. Every 4-5 casts I would be jerk and moving, adjusting the extra rod so it wouldn't fall out. Pros and cons I've noticed, the Third Grip which is available at all the big boys I know of - BPS, Cabelas, Gander Mtn and I'm sure there are more, tends to sit lower. That's a consideration if you plan to be in water over your waist much as your reel may spend a fair amount of time in the water. A River Quiver rides higher, is a bit more cumbersome to handle, but is still effective. The Quiver won't hold your pliers like the Third Grip will.

Also, as previously stated a wading vest/fly vest. Its an alternative to a tackle bag and totes just pack sparingly.