A fly line question?

Jonn Graham

Went out fly fishing last night with a fresh spool of Rio Clouser line. Wow..........what a casting difference when compared with that level wind line that came with the reel.

But, I developed one problem. After casting for about an hour, my fly line began to twist badly. What causes fly line to twist? I was able to get it out by cutting off the fly and doing some casting with just the fly line/leader. I was using the Murray's Murauder when it began to twist.

Anyone know why the line twisted and what I need to do to prevent it??????

Not sure what a Murrays Maurauder looks like but the only time I have had twisting problems was throwing a "76'r".

A "76'r" has two opposing feathers sticking out behind the hook and if not tied straight they cause the fly to twirl during your cast and twist the line. Some poppers will do the same thing.

This may be your problem. Check your fly, the one on your flyline, I mean. :D

But, I developed one problem. After casting for about an hour, my fly line began to twist badly. What causes fly line to twist? I was able to get it out by cutting off the fly and doing some casting with just the fly line/leader. I was using the Murray's Murauder when it began to twist.

You say the "line twisted", not the leader? A leader twisting is usually caused by the fly as Steve described (poppers etc.). I usually have some line twist and just assumed it was from casting while leaving line out on the ground in loops. I just make a few longer casts before reeling in the line (under slight tension).

Jonn

I've had some twisting when fishing divers in faster currents. Generally this twisting comes out when you cast. I've heard that you shouldn't try to "pull" or stretch the twists out as this can set them in the line. I don't think you can prevent it.

Jonn,

A fly that twists during the cast can cause a leader to twist but never the flyline itself.Assuming that the line isn't defective it's possible that you twisted it when you wound it onto the reel by taking it from the line's spool in a circular manner.To avoid line twist either insert a pencil into the whole in the spool in order to wind the line onto the reel in a straight line or pull all the line off the spool again in a straight line and then wind it onto the reel.If done correctly the line should remain relaxed and straight without curling as it's being wound onto the reel.Lines also can twist after awhile by twisting around in the current during hand retrieval.This is normal and the curls can be easily removed by stretching the line in about 3' increments with your hands.

Jonn

I've had some twisting when fishing divers in faster currents. Generally this twisting comes out when you cast. I've heard that you shouldn't try to "pull" or stretch the twists out as this can set them in the line. I don't think you can prevent it.

Not true.Not only is there no harm whatsoever in stretching out the curls that develop in a flyline during normal use or after being stored on the reel it's the quickest and easiest way to straighten the line.

The line will become twisted, as mentioned when spooling it up while the shipping spool is laying flat. Use the pencil technique. For every turn off the shipping spool when doing it wrong will put 1 twist in the line resulting in approximately 90-100 twists total.

Strip all the line off the reel, put a cloth around the line and pinch down as you respool, it will take the twist out. If you just make long cast to get it out, you'll still have the running line (level) portion on the reel that will remain twisted and eventually work its way forward.

Yes you can stretch fly line, which I always to at the start of the season. However, I would recommend being careful when stretching it outdoors when cold weather fishing. I have seen guys crack the coating when stretching line before getting out after some Steelhead in December.

Not true.Not only is there no harm whatsoever in stretching out the curls that develop in a flyline during normal use or after being stored on the reel it's the quickest and easiest way to straighten the line.

I think I read this in Bob Clouser's book, but what would he know. :lol:

There are several ways that a fly can become twisted and Jonn seems to have found two of the most common. A bulky fly that spins as it is cast or a fly line improperly put onto a line. There is also a third one, where a fly spins in the water. All the methods suggested will work to straighten out the line. I've never seen a fly line take a "set" even after being a car in the heat of summer or frozen in the middle of winter. Working at a fly shop, if it can be done, well, you'll see it. If I notice twists developing in my fly line, I cut the fly off and let the line out to unwind in the water. Then I modify the fly. And as suggested, wind the line on with a slight bit of tension. Also, it's a good idea to regularly clean your fly line and guides. I just follow the mfg's recommendations and most of fly lines have lasted five years or better. That includes some lines that have been used regularly in salt water. I use Loon line dressing after cleaning. But in the same sense, I'm the poster child for abusing fly lines. I leave my reels in my car, winter and summer. I tend to fish in algae covered, weed infested lakes and ponds and I fish deep so my lines are always in contact with rocks, tree limbs, roots and so on. But by just by simple maintenance, I've managed five years plus from most of my lines. Leaders-about two hours.

Glad you like that Clouser line, it's one of the best. It's actually about a half-weight more than listed but the taper makes all the difference.

Anyone out there try out the new Sharkskin?

Gnarly sound going through the guides, but it really goes the distance!

I've been fishing little spinners on my fly rod and sometimes pick up a good amount of twist in the leader. I've noticed if I use heavier leader line I get less twist, but it's still not full proof. I'm thinking of putting a swivel a couple feet up the line from the fly, but haven't tried it yet. This would also help with some top waters that can cause line twist (Jude Bugs in popper mode). Has anybody tried swivels in their leaders, and if so, how did effect your casting?

Josh I've tried your spinnerd minner ( as Fox Statler calls them) & think a small snap swivel at the fly is the answer - I just haven't tried it yet. By the way they trigger alot of fish - I'm still waiting to get one in front of some bigger fish. Thanks for sharing, we would like to have you tie it at either tying night.

Guest rich mc

bob long jr has used a small swivel on alot of his flies . i have also used a few small ones on the wonder worm fly. if i tye them with bead chain eyes they seem to want to twist in the water. i place it at the connection of leader to tippet. rich

I think I read this in Bob Clouser's book, but what would he know. :lol:

Not much if he says you shouldn't stretch a flyline to remove curls that result from a line being stored on a reel or in routine use.The only way a flyline can be actually twisted I know of is if it's improperly spooled which will do the same to spiinning line too.

Josh I've tried your spinnerd minner ( as Fox Statler calls them) & think a small snap swivel at the fly is the answer - I just haven't tried it yet. By the way they trigger alot of fish - I'm still waiting to get one in front of some bigger fish. Thanks for sharing, we would like to have you tie it at either tying night.

John,

The Spinner'd Minnner does seem to be a better steady action fly than a big fish fly. Though when I said that out loud fishing the other day, I hooked the biggest fish on it thus far, about a 12 incher. I'd come to a session and tie it sometime this fall. Probably on a Thursday.

Josh

Reducing/eliminating line twist:

Placing a miniture "crane style" power-swivel, (SPRO #10, stainless steel, black nickel finish), about 8" on the line, ahead of the lure.

This miniture swivel is very strong (35# test) for its size---very light---(equiv to a #16-18 of other brands, rated 10-15lb test).

This swivel turns as smooth a some brands of ballbearing swivels, on todays market, and

the SPRO brand is much smaller in size.

Works for me.

Removing line-twist in fly line:

Feed out the floating fly line in moving water---(without a leader/tippet attached to the fly line).

Allow the line to float down stream, until you reach the backing.

Allow the line to lay on the moving waters surface, in the current, for a few minutes.

Then wind the fly line back onto the fly reel.

All the line twist will be gone.

Akin to twisted mono line---allow several yards to be dragged behind a moving boat, (lures and hardware removed) ---for several minutes---

allowing the line to straighten out---the line twist will be removed, and you're back in business.

Works for me.