flourocarbon for baitcasters

Mark K

Mark,

I started using flourocarbon last summer and have been extremely pleased with each one I've tried. I've used 17 lb Trilene Professional (gold box), 15 lb P-line flourocarbon, and 15 lb Seaguar Invisix. I can't really say one is better than the other but I do like the limpness of the 15lb Invisix. I will keep using Trilene and Seaguar since they have been flawless.

In terms of stretch, flouoro is not low-stretch. It has equal if not more stretch than mono but since it is more dense, it is more sensitive. Good fishing.

My only experience with the stuff was not pleasant. I don't recall the brand (possibly Berkley Vanish?). My problems were related to line memory. I do use P-Line Fluoroclear, which is a coated mono/copolymer. The stuff acts more like mono, if that helps at all.

I believe fluorocarbon sinks, which you probably know from using it as leader or tippet material.

• 3 weeks later...
My only experience with the stuff was not pleasant. I don't recall the brand (possibly Berkley Vanish?).

There were a lot of problems with Vanish when it first came out a couple years ago. They've come out with a new version that supposedly cured some of those problems. I'm not taking a chance though.

Mark ,

I used flurocarbon for over a year on a spinning rod. I gave up on it because I felt the sinking aspect of the line lead to more snags. It seemed that it carried the jigs into the nooks and crannies quicker and further into them and it didn't allow my crankbaits to float back and out of snags as effectively.

I was able to use a little lighter jig than with the Trilene Xt or the McCoys Mean Green but I still lost more jigs overall to snags than with the Mccoys or Trilene. It also may have got my cranks deeper a little quicker and maybe stayed down a little longer but it wasn't something I would want to say was a sure thing. Once again the snagging issue outweighed the possible benefit.

Fluoro lines were initially developed as a leaded/tippet material.

Following that, someone thought it was a good idea to spool up their casting reels with it.

Then followed by installing it on spinning reels.

Some have claimed it was less visible to the fish, in clear water.

Smaller dia, 2-6lb fluoro line will perform okay on spin reels, however on larger dia spools only.

There are many mono and copolymer lines, on todays market, that perform better on spinning reels.

Mark ,

I used flurocarbon for over a year on a spinning rod. I gave up on it because I felt the sinking aspect of the line lead to more snags. It seemed that it carried the jigs into the nooks and crannies quicker and further into them and it didn't allow my crankbaits to float back and out of snags as effectively.

I was able to use a little lighter jig than with the Trilene Xt or the McCoys Mean Green but I still lost more jigs overall to snags than with the Mccoys or Trilene. It also may have got my cranks deeper a little quicker and maybe stayed down a little longer but it wasn't something I would want to say was a sure thing. Once again the snagging issue outweighed the possible benefit.

Whats the "density" of the fluro line vs mono that made it sink faster/deeper?

Does anyone know the sink rate of fluoro line to mono?

Is there published info on that?

One can conduct an experiment at home.

place a glass beeker 6" dia x 36" long, in an upright position.

Fill the beeker with distilled water.

Place a coiled section of 10lb line---30ft long, rolled in a 4" dia coil.

Place the coiled line on top of the column of water.

Measure the time in seconds, with a stop watch, that it takes for the coiled line to reach the bottom of the beeker.

Compare the fluro, mono and coplymer results, and make a comparison,

and witness for yourself which has a faster fall rate.

I have been useing the flour. for two years. The pline/seagar/triline/triple fish/ are all good. Works best on baitcast gear, but I do use10lb for the river on spin gear. Rarely do I have a break off. for cost effectiveness I will tie on a flour. leader on braid useing a uni knot. Seams to be the best of both worlds. When the water is low and clear I believe the flour. has it advantages. Stay away from vanish and floroclear/neigther comes close to the ones I have mentioned. You can get triple fish at Gander mt.

I have been useing the flour. for two years. The pline/seagar/triline/triple fish/ are all good. Works best on baitcast gear, but I do use10lb for the river on spin gear. Rarely do I have a break off. for cost effectiveness I will tie on a flour. leader on braid useing a uni knot. Seams to be the best of both worlds. When the water is low and clear I believe the flour. has it advantages. Stay away from vanish and floroclear/neigther comes close to the ones I have mentioned. You can get triple fish at Gander mt.

>>> "Stay away from vanish and floroclear/..."<<<

What are the disadvantages?

:unsure:

You say pline is good, but stay away from floroclear.

""floroclear is a pline product.""

Do you know how many OEM's make the brands you've mentioned?

Some companies make one line, with different labels!

Some people swear by Stren, and won't buy Trilene.

Some people swear by Trilene, and won't use Stren.

BOTH are made by the SAME company on the same machines with the same formula.

Go figure! :rolleyes:

Whats the "density" of the fluro line vs mono that made it sink faster/deeper?

Does anyone know the sink rate of fluoro line to mono?

Is there published info on that?

One can conduct an experiment at home.

place a glass beeker 6" dia x 36" long, in an upright position.

Fill the beeker with distilled water.

Place a coiled section of 10lb line---30ft long, rolled in a 4" dia coil.

Place the coiled line on top of the column of water.

Measure the time in seconds, with a stop watch, that it takes for the coiled line to reach the bottom of the beeker.

Compare the fluro, mono and coplymer results, and make a comparison,

and witness for yourself which has a faster fall rate.

Ken-

Do you have a home lab?

Where do you find 3 foot beakers? An even better question- how do you manage your time well enough to do this kind of stuff AND fish. :lol: