Fishing Outings

Norm M

Now that the fishing outings are about to begin, I'm curious as to what others want to get out of them.

For me catching fish is not really at the top of the list. I like to catch fish but when I'm serious about it and getting in my "zone" I'm really lousy company for the most part. I tend to tune out others which wouldn't make a guy real popular on a group venture.

For me it's more about meeting old friends and meeting some new ones. I also like to have the chance to learn from others whether it's a new technique/lure or a little different twist on an old one. Maybe someone can offer up a fresh idea on how fish react to a given situation or environmental factor based on their fishing in a different kind of flow than mine. My favorite person to fish with other than my son has the gift of being able to think outside the box more than I do and really make me think about things.

For me I would say that an exchange of ideas outweighs the actual catching of fish on these group outings. I'm not saying my way is right it's just my way.

I like to catch fish but when I'm serious about it and getting in my "zone" I'm really lousy company for the most part.

Norm, you sound like a hockey goalie!

Sometimes I think I'm too stubborn to allow myself to learn anything new, but I've met some great friends through the ISA, which in turn has opened up a lot of opportunities to not only fish in places I've never fished before but also fish more often than I have in recent years. These experiences became more meaningful to me because they were shared.

Makes perfect sense to me since I never catch any fish at the outings anyway. :lol:

You and you know who just need to fish a different spot.

Norm, you sound like a hockey goalie!

Sometimes I think I'm too stubborn to allow myself to learn anything new, but I've met some great friends through the ISA, which in turn has opened up a lot of opportunities to not only fish in places I've never fished before but also fish more often than I have in recent years. These experiences became more meaningful to me because they were shared.

Steve ,

I was a defenseman. I played the position like I was a linebacker, you try to get near my goal, you was going down.

Buck Perry once told me that the day he quit learning was the day he should quit fishing. He said and I agree that learning something new was what kept it interesting.

Steve ,

I was a defenseman. I played the position like I was a linebacker, you try to get near my goal, you was going down.

Buck Perry once told me that the day he quit learning was the day he should quit fishing. He said and I agree that learning something new was what kept it interesting.

My stubborn ways only delay the inevitable! I preach the learn something new philosophy to my boys at work. I do learn something new just about every day. A lot of that comes from being around guys who've been in the business for 40 years. Its just retain and apply after that.

The Hawks could use a defenseman with your kind of edge right now. Let's see if they get one in the off-season. What a fun year for hockey in Chicago. I hope the trend continues.

Good question. I'm not into the outting thing. I have no interest in fishing with strangers. I feel awkward taking someone I just met to spots that took me years to find access to. I was once taking a high ranking ISA officer to a great little spot that rarely got hit. I told him not to give away the spot to just anyone. His response was "Just what do you give away in a spot". That pretty much put me off the whole outting thing permanently.

Another friend of mine, who is pretty much one of the best fisherman I know and pretty much knows more about the kank than anyone I've ever met basically dropped out of the club because the outting thing. This guy loves fishing with people and is very generous. and he is pretty humble too and not one bit a braggart.

He attended several outtings took total strangers to GREAT water AND put them on fish. They would exchange numbers and that would be the last he ever heard from them. No follow up thank you, no "hey want to get together again". Nothing. Which was pretty stupid on their part.

Sad part is, between immense knowledge of the Kank and the fact taht he was very active in the conservation stuff too, it was a big loss.

Don't take that as bashing the club or the outting thing. Lots of guys do it and enjoy it. But if someone basically, guides you have the friggin' courtsey to throw him a "Thank You" at the very least, but better yet a reciprical invite later.

My son has become my main fishing pal. And due to the time consumed by my athletic endevours my solo fishing time is very limited. So what time I have I can't ditch him.

He is pretty good company and a fine fisherman. So in short, maybe I'll get lucky and make 3 or 4 serious Kank outtings this year. It looks like he's really into the overall outdoors thing. So maybe he'll take me out in his Ranger or drag my rickety old ass out an an occasional Quetico trip when I'm an old fart and all this will pay off. On the otherhand, he's not that far away from getting a pair of waders.

Fishing without child-

What am I looking for? a nice day. A nice easy wade, preferably without waders. 5 or 6 smallies would be fine. Really happy if any are over 15". Elated at an 18".

Prefer to catch everything on a fly or topwater.

if I'm drifting helgies. Probably catch more. Maybe a stringer of small cats for dinner.

A cold beer or two afterwards.

damn. Thats sounds cliche. :blink:

Guest Don R
Another friend of mine, who is pretty much one of the best fisherman I know and pretty much knows more about the kank than anyone I've ever met basically dropped out of the club because the outting thing. This guy loves fishing with people and is very generous. and he is pretty humble too and not one bit a braggart.

He attended several outtings took total strangers to GREAT water AND put them on fish. They would exchange numbers and that would be the last he ever heard from them. No follow up thank you, no "hey want to get together again". Nothing. Which was pretty stupid on their part.

I consider my self a rather personable and generous guy. But there are times when the phone just doesn't ring....and that's ok! I've shown many folks some great water and put them on fish but expected nothing in return. That's the way I was brought up. Not saying it's right or better. Perhaps a verbal "thank you" on the water or a all-telling smile is good enough sometimes.

Is it possible that the members thought if they called and said "hey, want to get together again?" they would be taking advantage of your friend's knowledge?

There's nothing wrong with deciding that your kid is your best fishing buddy, that's for sure.

What's really cliché is the whole "Take a kid fishing" line.

What isn't apparent though is the importance of actually doing it.

I'll leave that aspect there for reflection.

Back to outings...........

I actually learned some of the best fishing spots at an ISA clean-up, of all things.

Scott Ferguson showed a group of us some of his most cherished spots, and I never forgot the generosity shown to a new member at the time.

Norm Minas took a group of anglers to some key spots on the river not long after that at an outing, showing us how to go about approaching the area in each seasonal pattern.

Priceless information again.

I knew the club was for me after only two activities!

Over the years, leaders and members have come and gone.

That's going to happen when you have a 400-500 member organization with different philosophies and perspectives all rolled into one.

People come and go, while the river continues to flow just as it always has.

We could argue all year long regarding whether to give away "our spots" or not, but in reality it isn't that important. The ISA has a "blanket" policy for it's forum.

Please........

Big damn deal.

I am so tired of internet crap centered around this very subject.

The fact is, the ISA raises more money for smallmouth conservation than anyone in the nation (look it up), and quite possibly could soon surpass conservation efforts spent on direct IL stream benefits than anyone ever has.

The fact I work on this very stuff each and every day for hours makes me an elitist prick according to some.

Guilty as charged.

It's funny now, because at the time I didn't know a "push" from a riffle, chunk rock from gravel bottom....but it was clear to me after that day as Scott explained it in layman's terms when I asked him what the hell he was talking about.

:lol:

The forums ain't so dead now, are they?

Bring it!

I didn't read it that way (as a bashing). Some things occur over the course of time that sit well with some and not with others.

Everyone has a different take on outings, spots, and fishing friends. Mark has been a long time member and supporter (even if he uses some cliches) (how do you get that thing over the e?) and was voicing some personal views. Anyway, if he was bashing we would have deleted him.

Don your right about the spots thing-dead on. I'm pretty liberal about where I fish.

More than a spots thing. Bad choice of words.

It's here more like- "lets park here on this road, put a car at the tother end. Cut thru the woods here- down that path and get in the river here." work our way around this Island.

Here- throw into that pocket right there... " See that tree? If you wade straight towards it you can make it accross. The water's a bit dirty, use a spinnerbait. This is a great place to run a buzzbait across." etc.

Well thanks. I had fun bye....

Then...It's the last you ever hear from them. and sometimes thats a good thing.

I have to ask myself...exactly why I would want this person along in the firsts place. thats just me and my opinion. You guys enjoy it, it draws members o the club, have you are having fun. More power to yah. It's just not for me.

You and i have different personalities. I do things for people AND I want things in return. Otherwise I have no incentive. It makes no sense to me otherwise.

I'm sure you can meet cool people too, but for me it's just a crap shoot, and when boils down to it. I'd rather just hang out with the guys I know and like.

Yeah. Personally I liked the folks I met doing the conservation stuff. Some of my best freinds now. We all hardly get to fish together, but still talk on the phone frequently.

As long as the subject of outtings has come up one thing about them that has always puzzled me is why they always start so early regardless of the season. I recall an outting on the Fox in October a few years ago when we met for breakfast before sunrise in order to be on the river early even though the fishing at that time of year is better later in the day and in my experience river fishing for smallies is at least as good in the pm as the am at any time of year.About the only fishing I routinely get up early for is largemouth bassbugging from late spring thru summer starting at 4:30-5:00am and packing it in by 7:00-7:30 once the sun's on the water and the bass, which are much more light averse than river smallies,drop into the depths where pursuing them with a full sinking flyline is BORING. If we met for a late breakfast/early lunch at about 10am you working stiffs wouldn't have to get up so early on your day off and everyone would still be home in time for supper after getting in a good 5 hrs fishing which is about all anyone wants. Anyone wanting to do a whole day could arrive as early as they want and than break for the breakfast.What do you guys think?

There's nothing wrong with deciding that your kid is your best fishing buddy, that's for sure.

What's really cliché is the whole "Take a kid fishing" line.

What isn't apparent though is the importance of actually doing it.

I'll leave that aspect there for reflection.

Back to outings...........

I actually learned some of the best fishing spots at an ISA clean-up, of all things.

Scott Ferguson showed a group of us some of his most cherished spots, and I never forgot the generosity shown to a new member at the time.

Norm Minas took a group of anglers to some key spots on the river not long after that at an outing, showing us how to go about approaching the area in each seasonal pattern.

Priceless information again.

I knew the club was for me after only two activities!

Over the years, leaders and members have come and gone.

That's going to happen when you have a 400-500 member organization with different philosophies and perspectives all rolled into one.

People come and go, while the river continues to flow just as it always has.

We could argue all year long regarding whether to give away "our spots" or not, but in reality it isn't that important. The ISA has a "blanket" policy for it's forum.

Please........

Big damn deal.

I am so tired of internet crap centered around this very subject.

The fact is, the ISA raises more money for smallmouth conservation than anyone in the nation (look it up), and quite possibly could soon surpass conservation efforts spent on direct IL stream benefits than anyone ever has.

The fact I work on this very stuff each and every day for hours makes me an elitist prick according to some.

Guilty as charged.

Well put, a thank you, however is always a nice gesture................................. GP

An outing is an excuse to go fish'n and I need more excuses to go!! lol. Honestly I've only been to one and got paired with Phil F who promptly schooled my butt that day. It gave me the desire to try and become a better all-a-round angler. Did I mention is was an excuse to go fish'n ? You get the idea ;) I'd tell ya all my secret spots if I knew how to find'em again myself. Guess I better go find some new secret spots cuz the floods this spring washed all my old ones away. Stupid river anyway!!

Ron G

What I look for in fishing outings:

1) Meet new people

2) Get on new water

3) Learn something new

4) If #'s 1, 2 & 3 are accomplished... catching fish is just an added bonus!