whats the best fishing tip you learned this year?

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

please post them here. if we get a large number it may become a newsletter article.

i'll start. i used a cubby mini mite rod , with a diawa trigger spin reel for throwing light jigs and weighted flies. the 8ft rod was a joy to cast and fight fish with. cant wait to use it with the f n f next weekend .

other tip is a swim jig or in my case a swim fly rich

please post them here. if we get a large number it may become a newsletter article.

i'll start. i used a cubby mini mite rod , with a diawa trigger spin reel for throwing light jigs and weighted flies. the 8ft rod was a joy to cast and fight fish with. cant wait to use it with the f n f next weekend .

other tip is a swim jig or in my case a swim fly rich

The Parasite Concept

Great question, Rich.

the Paracite Clip is a great rig. Finding out that the Brand Name clip can be replaced with a barrel swivel with no loss of effectiveness was a bonus. I passed it on here aftr I saw it in BASSMASTERS.

Tips and whatnot for 07:

You can NOT reel in a rattle bait or Storm wild eye shad fast enough in 40-50 degree water. You.Just.Can't.

Ditches hold alot of 16-20"+ smallies for 3 seasons.

Red+chartruese+April=Happy.

Smallies love 2-3" tight wobble cranks that are custom painted to look like a smallie.

Megabait Charlie is perhaps the greatest big smallie/largemouth lure in the box.

No..wait. Wilson is. Still the king.

The above-dam section of the river holds a TON of untapped big smallies in an area where there aren't supposed to be a TON of untapped big smallies.

Bass Pro sticks are better than Senkos and last 10X longer.

Retention pond smallies are found in exactly the same spots as and with largemouth. That heavy mat of crap algae that rings the shore is a gold mine.

A #4 Mepps, A 3" Husky Jerk, A Tiki Stik, A Hula Grub, A Zara Puppy, and a Chug Bug are all you need for an entire week on a prime shield lake in Ontario.

A Gorillapod is a great tool for the solo fisherman.

4 ISA members in one cabin for a week is not a good idea, just from an odor point of view.

Jamie,

We need details on the odor and the cabin.

How are Bass Pro Stik-Os better, other than price?

My tip o' the year:

When I was studying photography, the best photographers would say "F8 and be there" as a way to say you don't get any good pictures if you are not out shooting. The same thing applies to fishing; "rod, reel and be there." I have never caught any fish sitting in my living room with the TV on.

Gregg

hit the same hole twice their are more there then you think

not all hot baits are hot every were stick to some old ad true

if you are catching try some thing the same but diffrent or diffrent but the same

if you are having a bad day go back a nother day is bound to be better

Dispense with the trout mindset, you shouldn't flyfish for smallies the same way you would for trout, a very different species. The one likes to sip smallish hors devours all day while Mr. Smallie wants some meat. Increasing my average fly size yielded not only larger but also more fish at times. I'm not sure that I can tie them too large.

They last 10X longer. The sink rate is pretty good too. Senkos are more often than not a 1 fish bait. And a pretty expensive one at that.

The odor. Pipestone trip in june. Nasty.

Lead has a good sink rate, as well unweighted #8 wolly bugger.

On many ocassions, I've caught several fish on a single Senko.

The method of rigging plays a big roll in this matter.

Expensive is all relative.

Gas is expensive----some only go 15 miles on a gallon of gas.

I can buy a lots of bags of Senkos, in lieu of making a trip to the northwoods.

You can have all my 10X plastics.

I haven't been able to give any of them away to avid anglers I've fished with.