Eagle Nest

phaaker

Good morning, I was fishing the Dupage in Hammel Woods and saw an eagle.  After turning the bend I saw it had made a huge nest about 40ft up in tree not far from the bank.  I stopped and didn’t go further as I was almost out of light.  I came back a few days later, eagle was gone but there was a large group of birders on the other side of the river, one shouted that it’s a federal to keep 330ft from the nest, I just moved spots.  Does anyone know about floating this section now as I would be in the 330ft zone?  I found the regulation the border was referring to, I also found it interesting the eagle didn’t seem to mind me alone a few days ago, but was absent with the large group present.

That nest has been there for a minute.... there's a pair of birds that has been successfully breading there. It's a very cool thing!!! 

What's more intimidating to a wild animal? One lone fisherman slowly moving through the area or a large group of birders hanging out in the area for hours but 330 feet away?!? I wouldn't worry about floating through there. And as far as wading goes just don't park yourself under the nest (or pick up any feathers lol). Regardless the birds have been successfully breading for years so they must feel comfortable enough with the attention. I really wish the forest preserve hadn't cleared out so much brush in that section. I'm sure they have their reasons. I know some of the brush was invasive and the removal of the dam is changing the river flow/streambed location so that might be part of it too. However the brush certainly did keep things from being seen so easily. Not advocating for secrets/ secrecy but at the same time the birders made my point by quoting the regulation. Give the animals some space to feel comfortable and be wild!

edit-wanted to clarify I'm in no way dissing birders. 

I know of a nest that the was really close to a remote section of a river and the eagles abandoned it built a new one nearby farther off the bank.  Eagles can relocate the next season  if they are uncomfortable with man.  If there is a 330 foot rule that is a good thing.  I generally just paddle through when an eagle nest is nearby and they are sitting on eggs or have eaglets.  Ive been tempted to get out and walk closer to take photos but would not do so of course. If there is a bird that I wouldn't want attacking me its an eagle.

I try and keep my distance… I’ve still got dents from one of them laying an egg on the roof of my car and offering to lower my auto insurance rates. 

If that distance is a rule, every birder / photographer that once viewed the eagles nesting in the dead tree at Mooseheart in Batavia would’ve been in violation.