Low gear ratio reels

Philf

Do any of you guys purposely use lower gear ratio reels in the winter to make it easier to present a lure a little slower? I’ve had good luck with those $60 Pflueger president real’s in  the 3500 size they hold up pretty well and you can pick them up at the Walmart. With the faster reels it seems like I really have to concentrate on slowing down my retrieve. I was also thinking that drinking beer while I was fishing might help me to slow down too.

I use a spinning rod and reel  in a 5:3:1   I only use it every  now and then not sure the exact gear ratio. that's on my reels. I  also fly fish  and tie my own jigs and flies.  I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but try a bobber  maybe watch it drift  and re cast every so often.  I tie 1/32 oz to 1/4 oz  but fishing  with out a bobber I use 1/4 oz and 1/8 oz but with a bobber I use 1/8 oz on down to 1/32 oz.    I agree   with  a slower reel  and presantion is better in the fall and winter months.  Also depth of water is important .  I have not found a need for a faster reel  ratio with that said for bass like strippers, white bass and smallmouth and largemouth bas sometimes a faster gear reel mite be better. Hope this helps you out.

The only person I knew who fished low gear was Norm. I think he had something in the 4's that he used now and again.

Could probably go back in his posts to find the ratio and reel, which I might do. With my crush on crankbaits I can totally understand the reasoning in cold water.

Does anyone even make anything in the 4's these days? Seems like everything is just getting faster, 9's and I think even 10's.

It's more about inches per turn  than gear ration. Spool size, amount of line on spool etc. all play a part.

Lowest I have is 6 something on a 50 and 70 size reels. Seem to do okay with those. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, Kev-mo said:

The only person I knew who fished low gear was Norm. I think he had something in the 4's that he used now and again.

Could probably go back in his posts to find the ratio and reel, which I might do. With my crush on crankbaits I can totally understand the reasoning in cold water.

Does anyone even make anything in the 4's these days? Seems like everything is just getting faster, 9's and I think even 10's.

It's more about inches per turn  than gear ration. Spool size, amount of line on spool etc. all play a part.

Lowest I have is 6 something on a 50 and 70 size reels. Seem to do okay with those. 

I have an old quantum pt 4.3 ratio that i bought before i new anything about baitcasters. Needless to say even though its a high quality reel. It pretty much sits anymore