Jigs for fishing with spinning rods

colindanenberger

Hello my name is Colin I live in Central IL. I've been tying for about 10 years. And I was wondering if you spin or baitcast fishermen and women , if anyone would like to share some color combos and size of jig head you fish with. I don't tie to much far as jigs go. But again I would like to know what size jig head the size hook people use. Also would like to know where to buy good jig heads since I don't pour my own and don't have proper equipment to do so.  I fish mainly ponds for crappie, bluegill  and largemouth bass  and every now and then creeks for carp and smallmouth bass.  I do also fly fish most of the time.  I do sell my own to people who want them.  I just wanted to know what people whom don't fly fish, what people fish with.  I'll  put pictures on this post for people to see.  Lastly I need advice on how I can be a better tier. Thanks everyone have a great day and night

15734095490284203739720887758064.jpg

Colin, I generally use 1/8 oz. jigs for most of my walleye fishing but occasionally will use a 1/4 oz. if fishing deep or if I or the water is moving faster.  As to Crappie, generally 1/32 oz but might go to 1/8 oz again if fish are deeper and/or suspended at significant depths.  Btw, I like that pink and white for crappie and that white and pearl for everything.  Darn, now my secrets are out there for all to see.   As to where to purchase jig heads, Cabelas were generally of decent quality but my favorites came from Northland  FishingTackle. 

This is a good place to get jigs.  You can custom order with whatever size hook/lead you want.  It's out of springfield IL as well, so rather local.  Most of my hair jigs for smallies are olive/dark olive or baitfish colors.  Can't ever go wrong with white or black as well.  Best to keep them sparse most of the time ;).

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Lure-Making

Andy, funny you mention that.  A friend and I are going over there tomorrow to pick up a few rod building supplies and fly tying materials.  I know they have a large assortment of jig heads and I'll take a look at them tomorrow while I'm over there. 

lurepartsonline or also known Angler's Workshop is a great business to deal with.  Really fun to go thru their warehouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin,

I have been meaning to comment on this for a while. First I will fill out he picture on jigs by mentioning the smaller 1/64, 1/80, and 1/100 jigs on #s 8 and 10 hooks AKA trout jigs.  There are all kinds of patterns including the easily tied mop flies which are obscenely effective on trout I have heard. You can fish these under a casting float on light spinning gear or on fly gear or tenkara. I frequently fish them with a strike indicator, aka small bobber.

It looks like you are doing very well with tying. To get better, I recommend you warch videos by the masters. Galloup and Brammer come to mind. IMHO you cant beat Galloup's video on tying the ZooCougar since it has techniques that apply all over.

More to Come.

There's more!

The sections of the video on  setting deer hair collars and spinning deer hair have broad application. It reminded me of some very effective jig patterns from the past. These two warhorses-Muddler Jig and Crawford Crawfish are examples.  (Today I would tie the Muddler collar with a wider flair to get a sculpin look.) The jigs pictured are tied on 1/4 oz jigs. I have used the same patterns on 1/16 oz jigs. 

49099313628_eee7a67db6_z.jpgCollarjigs by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

Colin, those are nice looking jigs, and Mike 👍.

This zonker strip/squirrel tail bug is tied on a walleye jig from Bass Pro Shops. I tie it on a 1/8 oz to 1/2 oz jig head. It works best when hopped along the bottom like a squirrel. It seems to attract about anything. I've had good luck fishing it for smallies, early season white bass when they are running deep, walleye, sauger, and drum, and have picked up many other species with it. I use a variety of colors. I call it the Squirrely J.

20191122_162442.thumb.jpg.f1d0afa1508531e6cdbb7a82d16eb68b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone here are some I've been catching bass on. Caght two large mouth bass yesterday in a pond I've been fishing 18+ years.

I got loads of fox and coyote and some flash in the jigs. The bass where less than a pound but still fun. The jig on the left is like what I caght the bass on. It's coyote tail and some flash from deer creek. 

15752152483195659577939866404536.jpg