Best Fly Tying Kit for Beginners?

Mike G

46135061505_16c5254560_z.jpgKatie Tying by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

Katie is still at it.  I need some recommendations on a good beginner's fly tying kit. I would appreciate hearing your recommendations and experiences, Lots out there from $30 to $200.  Your answer will do double duty, helping me and helping all the other readers thinking about taking the plunge into tying.

I suggest you get the vise you want. the tools are cheap. then make a list of materials needed for the flies she plans to tye.  I suggest a Thompson AA, inexpensive and dependable, as a starter.  if you get 50 responses you will have 50 different opinions.  I think the orvis kits are the best but the vise isn't very handy. get her involved in scrounging for materials and searching ebay for a deal on a vise. I have seen a few. she will become an enthusiast.  good luck!  timothy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies. Here is the rest of the story. It is over 60 years ago now that my father gave me a kit from Tackle-Tyers, Evanston IL. It got me started and served me well. I am still using the bobin. Despite the negativity on kits I went with one.

https://smile.amazon.com/WETFLY-Deluxe-Tying-Book-Popular/dp/B000IAW2IK/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_pd_crcbs_0_4/131-4850670-0057535?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000IAW2IK&pd_rd_r=9a4db73c-e05f-4032-a726-27dae660a45e&pd_rd_w=Zr3Uh&pd_rd_wg=BKyzB&pf_rd_p=6ba03529-44b7-4c95-95bf-2762b37f6529&pf_rd_r=TX15Z7QD8DYHZSVHKPQ9&psc=1&refRID=TX15Z7QD8DYHZSVHKPQ9

I chose it because the vise was better than others in the price range. It had a materials clip. It was also had a hair stacker. To suppliment the limited materials I added a shoe box full ofstuff. Grandaughter loves it.

• 1 month later...